Motor recommendations and Torque.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor recommendations and Torque.

I am just about to build a winder and have a few questions regarding the motor.

I am looking at using a 12v Dc reversible motor with an speed of approx 3000 rpm which will then be reduced 2:1 to approx 1500 rpm. Speed will be controlled via a pot. My question is should I go for low or high torque on the motor? I am worried that too high torque will result in lots of snapped wire.

If any forum members can suggest a good motor or ideal specs it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Torque isn't the problem, control is the problem. A pot is a very crude way to control motor speed, you want a pulse width modulator (PWM).

Comment

PWM

Originally posted by David King View Post
      Torque isn't the problem, control is the problem. A pot is a very crude way to control motor speed, you want a pulse width modulator (PWM).
      Yes, I am using a PWM. Thanks for confirming I am on the right track. I am now stuck on the counter - so many different options. Can you buy a similar unit as the one Schatten use as a counter?

Comment

Forget what the Schatten uses. You can do better. Try a preset counter. Someone posted a $29 one from China off Ebay that's fully programmable, has large LED digits. Sestos seems to be one name but I see several identical models under different makes.

Comment

too low of torque and what happens is when you apply tension to the wire the motor slows way down and will eventually burn up. Something to consider is you dont want something that will have a fly wheel effect- when you turn the winder off you want the motor to stop in only a few turns, you dont want it spinning long after you stop.

Comment

Working...
          X