What is the BEST sounding Peavey guitar amp ever made??? IYO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    There were separate power amps per speaker, but they didn't just shut one off, what they did was send the dry signal to both amps - mono. When the chorus was engaged, the dry signal continued to one amp, and the wet signal went to the other. Q6 and Q10 do that. SO In chorus mode, you actually have two different signals in the two speakers, instead of a chorused-effect mono signal from both.
    Wow, I feel like a dumbo. Wish I could remember where I read that; it seemed like a really boneheaded way to wire an amp and that kept me from calling Peavey and getting a footswitch for it. The chorus is actually great, as is the reverb. Maybe I'll like it more with the ability to turn those off once in a while...

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
      <snip>what is considered the BEST sounding peavey guitar amp ever made?</snip>
      The Studio Chorus 210. To MY ears, the BEST sounding amp Peavey ever produced. OK, truth be told, it's the ONLY Peavey amp I've ever heard...but I remember liking the sound quite a lot for a solid state amp.

Comment

After years of Marshalls, Mesa Boogies and humbuckers I decided to change up my sound and switched to a Peavey Classic 50 410 with a Strat for about a year. It had an excellent warm clean sound and cut through the mix on stage very well. The only pedals I used were a Tube Screamer and a Boss chorus pedal. It was a cool sound for awhile and I had no complaints, (I was in a country band at the time). But eventually I had to go back to what I love.

Comment

I play metal and for over the top gain I really liked the 1st Gen XXX best and the Ultra+ 2nd best

Comment

5150 II/6505+ and Ultra+ are good amps. From the old transistor amplifiers, Renown 212/400 also.

Comment

I've got a Delta Blues 115 and a 6505+ head in my collection that are pretty decent sounding amps. They're not my favorites but I can definitely get good usable tone from them. I used to be a real snob about Peavey. I HATED their SS/tube amps from the '70s and just never gave them a chance for decades until a few years ago. I was actually kind of surprised how good they sound.

This one is a hell of a lot of fun anyway. I've got a older 412MS cab too, the all plywood one. It's built like a tank. I can't really say it's all Peavey though because I've got V30's and WGS ET-65's in it. It's a beast.

Last edited by Riffraff; 12-17-2016, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I dunno...I guess a Mace, as long as Steve Gaines was playing it
                Well, you know what they say: "One man's mojo is another man's mojo".

Comment

Working...
                X