Question on voltage: 120v/240v - Vox Venue Keyboard 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on voltage: 120v/240v - Vox Venue Keyboard 100

I bought a Vox Venue 100 Keyboard amp new when I was stationed in the UK. I don't remember the specifics, but I bought it on a US Base there, possibly in the base exchange? I also don't remember if I ran it there using 240v or not. This was in 1986. I also bought a marshall jcm800 there, and it had a 120v/240v switch on it.

Here is a pic of the amp (not mine): Click image for larger version

Name:	18193_vox-venue-keyboard-100w-amp-_photo_0_1369735636_img.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	867556

I shipped the amp back in '87, and have been running it ever since using a 120v plug and 120v US power. I've never had an issue with it. It's been gigged as a keyboard amp, bass amp and even vocals.

For some reason I never looked at, or don't remember looking at the writing on the back of the amp. It clearly says "Mains voltage: 240v" - there is no switch to change it to 120v. I opened it up, and there is no internal switch. The PT is hard wired, it doesn't look like it was modified in any way (certainly wasn't by me, and I'm the original owner).

Just wondering if there is any way to tell if the PT really is a 240v PT? Is there any harm in running it on a 120v line if it is? Been running for 27 years!

Thanks.

If it were really meant for 240V I don't think it would work on 120V. Also you have a 120 type plug correct?
    It's possible they put a 120V sticker over where you now see 240V and it fell off over the years.
    Is there a mains fuse? What is it labelled as and what is it actually? A 120V amp would use a fuse twice the size (rated in amps) as a 240V model.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
      If it were really meant for 240V I don't think it would work on 120V. Also you have a 120 type plug correct?
      It's possible they put a 120V sticker over where you now see 240V and it fell off over the years.
      Is there a mains fuse? What is it labelled as and what is it actually? A 120V amp would use a fuse twice the size (rated in amps) as a 240V model.
      Hmmm, it may have had a sticker over that spot, but I don't remember. It has a fused IEC plug on the back, that's why I'm unclear on whether it had a UK style plug at one point. The IEC plug fuse is 2A, there is a 5A fuse just above the speaker jacks and two internal 5A fuses.

Comment

Check the main DC voltage rails.
        Should be about 50 volts.(strapped for 110V)
        If it's half (strapped for 220V) then there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          Check the main DC voltage rails.
          Should be about 50 volts.(strapped for 110V)
          If it's half (strapped for 220V) then there you go.
          50v/-50v - thanks, should have thought of that!

Comment

Working...
          X