Humbucker base plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker base plates

Hi all, I have a couple of what could be considered newbie questions. I've decided to stock up on some humbucker 49.2mm bobbins in various colours as I've had a few orders for PAF style pickups.

I'm thinking of giving addiction-fx a try. Can anyone shed light on their parts quality? As living in sleepy hollow inherently incurs an $80 or more postage fee I'd like to know I'm getting half decent product quality.

The newbie question.

What's the difference between a 49.2mm humbucker base plate, and a 49.2mm PAF base plate? Aside from the amount of holes and maybe leg length I thought one could use either as long as they are wound as PAFs. I thought the dimensions were the same but Addiction-fx says Nope they aren't.

So I guess I need schooling before I make an error. what's the difference?

Thanks and regards to all.

Walt
    I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

Hi Walt:
    Unless you're doing Vintage PAF replicas, I prefer the short or medium legged baseplate.
    Some guitars are not routed deeply enough for the long legs.
    I do prefer the nickel silver over brass, brass has a darker tone.
    Also most of the shorter baseplates are drilled for screws for both bobbins.
    So that gives more options.
    If you like custom, try a 49.2mm in the neck, and a 50mm in the bridge.
    That works well with 24-3/4 inch guitars.
    Guitars that are F-Spaced you could do 49.2 neck, and 53mm Bridge.
    Good luck,
    T
    **On ADFX, a lot of guys use them.
    Last time I did, they seemed pretty slow shipping.
    Now I mainly do bizz with Mojo.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 08-22-2013, 02:45 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

So basically I can use any of them if I don't want to be a purist. 49.2mm in the neck, and a 50mm in the bridge, That's nice I might try it, I'd imagine i could get a little more wire on a 50mm bobbin if I wonted it a little hotter.

Any recommendations on addiction-fx?

Thanks Terry.
      I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

Comment

Walt,

You're going to want to match your bobbin spacing up to your keeper bar and baseplate spacing, unless you plan on drilling out the keepers and baseplates, or you are doing blade-type pickups.

It's possible that those "universal" short leg baseplates with the 12 holes in them, that Terry mentioned, will accommodate a variety of different spaced bobbins/keepers, as the holes are pretty large already, if I remember correctly. Just keep it in mind and maybe buy a few singles of different parts to assure fit and satisfaction with the products/vendors before making a bulk purchase.

James

Comment

Thanks James that's good advice. I'm going to wind a bunch of PAF's so I'll buy the matching kits as well as a few extra bits and bobs to experiment with.

regards

Walt

Comment

Originally posted by walcen View Post
            Thanks James that's good advice. I'm going to wind a bunch of PAF's so I'll buy the matching kits as well as a few extra bits and bobs to experiment with.

regards

Walt
            Hi Walt:
            Good to see you on here.
            Good luck with the Humbucker work.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by walcen View Post

regards

Walt
              Addiction FX just got PAF baseplates, one-row of screw holes with SHORT legs, nickel-plated nickelsilver covers, double-cream humbucking bobbins... and I think you can now buy a whole kit, as they seem to finally have everything necessary. All the new stuff is at their e-bay shop, not the website.

Just sayin'...
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                Addiction FX just got PAF baseplates, one-row of screw holes with SHORT legs, nickel-plated nickelsilver covers, double-cream humbucking bobbins... and I think you can now buy a whole kit, as they seem to finally have everything necessary. All the new stuff is at their e-bay shop, not the website.

Just sayin'...
                Your right, they are not on the regular website.
                I wonder what's with that, I still don't do FleaBay.
                At least they do advertise their keeper being .125", not .118" like the Mojo High dollar American made keeper.
                T
                Terry

Comment

Yeah I wonder what's with that too.

Comment

Working...
                  X