DIY Rack Cases -- Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Rack Cases -- Anyone?

I'd like to build a racked amp/effects rig into a permanent Anvil-type rack system on wheels. I'd like to match the footprint and height of an existing Mesa Road-Ready 2x15 system so the two of them can be paired up side by side. To get things to match up in footprint and height it looks like I'm going to have to DIY.

Does anyone know where I can find some good info on how to design a DIY shock mounted rack system? There's a nice series of videos on building DIY roadcases at reliablehardware.com, but so far I haven't found anything online that looks useful for building a rack system, or a shock mounted rack system. I'm hoping that somebody here might have experience or might be able to link me up with some reference info.

I'd really prefer to shockmount the system because it will be holding a pair of racked tube amps. I'm not quite sure of how to implement a shock mount system for the chassis, but the thought of using motor mounts has crossed my mind.

TIA.

link: 1 of 11 - DIY Road Case Introduction - ReliableHardware.com - YouTube
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Apologies,...this is not really an answer to your question. Have you thought about getting something close and adapting? Maybe remove wheels and add blocks/spacers between the wheels and rack, etc. I've done this before to (for instance) be able to use it for a surface to put a mixer.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

No apology needed, that's really a good suggestion -- finding something close, and making it taller if it's too short would be a really good approach. I've been keeping an eye open for something suitable for a while now, and unfortunately I haven't had any luck so far. It seems that there's a really good supply of lightweight/flimsy plastic type cases on the used market, with a limited number of rack spaces, but not much in the way of really rugged well-built stuff, with a large number of rack spaces. IT seems that most of what's available around here seems to be systems that are meant to be lifted and set down atop something rather than something that's big enough to be wheeled around on it's own. While keeping an eye open I've seen virtually nothing that's shockmounted. After watching for a long time I've been thinking that my best option may just be to bite the bullet and build something. I'm open to adapting if something suitable might come along, but you know how it goes -- I could watch for a year and nothing good will come along, then once I've finally built something is when something suitable will show up on the used market.

thanks for the quick response.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I suggested that option because, if you check into all the supplies/hardware (handles, latches, rack rails, laminate, corners, aluminum channel, etc.), it can get quite expensive to build a one-off case. Then there's the time required to build it.

A couple of other options:

Many companies will build you what ever you want. I've bought some custom cases from Road Ready in the past and have been very happy with them. Cost vs build quality is pretty good.

Also, there's a company called AV for Sale that deals in used gear that they salvage/purchase. I've bought lots of stuff from them. They have an eBay store and it's hit and miss. Sometimes they'll have a ton of cases for sale, other times not so much. Worth a check. Most likely whatever you'd get from them would require some modification to fit your needs, but the price is usually right.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
        X