Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson GA-CB amp

Howdy everyone,

Me and my rhythm'n'blues band recently got our hands on something as rare as a Gibson GA-CB in great condition.
    Everything seems to function as it should, all channels, tremolo, frequency switch (!)...

Being such a rare bird, we feel she might belong in a museum, a studio or a collector that'll preserve this beauty. We'd rather use our GA-75 as a gig amp than wearing out one of the last GA-CB's.

So, does anyone have a clue what she might be worth?

Best Regards /Niklas

Click image for larger version

Name:	1014215_10151845648963829_2141109348_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	867598

No idea, I don;t buy and sell stuff.

Read the thread we had on the amp from a couple weeks ago:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t33992/
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Blue book will give you an idea.
      For $2.95.
      Blue Book of Guitar Amplifier Values - GA-CB ELECTRIC TUBE AMPLIFIERS: GA (GA-80 ? GA-400) SERIES GA-CB
      As rare as these amps are, I am sure more than a few collectors would like a crack at it.
      Personally, I would peg it at 3 grand.

Comment

Yeah, ive read all the threads on all the forums that i can find that mention a GA-CB - but just like the amp, the info is scarse and getting it valued seems to be quite a task.

Comment

Thanks for the tip - checked it out but the rating for a 100% fully working one was N/A... For one in exellent condition it was valued around $1500 - $1800 which is less than what people pay for a GA-75 in exellent condition. I cant really see how this baby wouldn't be worth atleast the double of that.
          Just the (ca 1950) tremolo function and frequency switch alone should set it far higher - the frequency switch is supposed to be able to boost it up to ~ 30-40 watts of audio power which is unique for guitar amps of that era.

As PremierGuitar.com puts it:
          "With the combination of higher power, a tremolo circuit, and the Jensen-designed High Frequency Control, Gibson offered with the GA-CB a package aimed squarely at the professional player. In advertisements of the time, Gibson touted the GA-CB as being “superlative for studio work, for church or auditorium use.” Cleary not an amp for greasy kids, twanging cowboys, or hard blues. By the end of its production run in 1953, only 108 GA-CB amps had been built. At $425 the GA-CB was a very expensive piece of equipment. Using the Consumer Price Index calculator, the GA-CB would cost today roughly $3835, a price similar to some of the currently available boutique, custom and high-power amplifiers. As for finding an actual GA-CB, few are known to exist. Even major collectors just shake their heads “no” when asked if they have a Custom- Built. Some recall an opportunity to buy long past, but most have never even seen one."

Anatomy of a Classic: Gibson 1949 GA-CB

Comment

The amp is 'worth' a lot.
            Period.
            If you are selling it.

Comment

Yeah that's the idea, we just want to get a good idea of her value before we make any stupid decisions But since most people value it similar to the other GA's of the same period (of which there are still plenty to go around) we think most people don't know the particulars of what a monster she is, and the rarity of her.

Comment

Is there any chance you have the Jensen high frequency selector info? It's shown as a box labelled "divider network" on the schematic. I've been researching this info for a while, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to build a GA-CB, & I'm also looking on behalf of another builder. I don't know how exposed or hidden the components are on that switch, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to take a photo or make a drawing. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X