Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I hate Windows 7? Let me count the ways!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I hate Windows 7? Let me count the ways!

OK- for starters I hate the way that my mouse (actually a Logitech trackball) works in Windows 7 compared to WinXP. It seems like Microsoft has greatly increased the mouse resolution required or otherwise made it more sensitive to the mouse movements. Yes I have tried adjusting all of that in the crappy control panel that Microsoft gives me. One possibility is that Microsoft is trying to undermine their competition since mice and keyboards are a big hardware item for them (the ONLY hardware item for them until the introduction of the Xbox.)

Actually one big difference is in the selection of text- it used to be much easier to select one character at a time as you were enlarging or shrinking the selection. However the selection seems to default to whole words and also includes punctuation marks before and after it. (An experiment for the fearless- try selecting just the text in a word inside quotation marks!)

More to follow. Feel free to add your own pet peeves. I have also created a "How do I love Windows 7? Let me count the ways!" thread for those people who like Windows 7.

Steve Ahola

EDIT A related complaint is how a selected block of text responds to the arrow keys in Windows 7. In WinXP and earlier versions hitting the left arrow key would deselect the text and put you at what was the beginning of the selection. The right arrow key would put you at the end of the selection. With Windows 7 either key puts you at the end of the selection. It might seem like a trivial complaint but it causes me a lot of extra work moving the cursor around, especially with Win 7 being so touchy about mouse movements.
    Last edited by Steve A.; 08-31-2013, 06:28 PM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Another complaint about Windows 7 (and Vista) is how the Home editions removed necessary features that were available in all editions of WinXP. The professional editions of WinXP added extra features- its not like the plain edition was lacking features necessary for proper operation and maintenance.

One example is the partitioning software missing in the Home edition of Windows 7. With WinXP you didn't need a third-party partition program to manage your drives and partitions (although they did make it easier and added fancier options.) I mention this because I used an 8GB SDHC card to install Android 4.2 (CyanogenMod) on my Nook HD+. To do that I used Win32DiskImager to copy a 2GB image to the 8GB card. When I was done I wanted to reformat the card for the full 8GB (something I was able to do with WinXP) but I did not have the necessary tools in Windows 7 Home Premium so I had to use the freeware EASUS partition program.

Windows 7 Home editions try to protect us from mistakes that we might make- the ultimate NANNY operating system!

Steve
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:

Comment

I have *always* been adding one or two underscore characters to the beginning of a file or folder name to ensure that it is listed at the top of a list. For some reason in different areas of Windows the names beginning with underscore characters are listed after the names with alpha-numeric characters. If I knew how to change the sort order I could deal with it but I have better things to do with my time. I think I already mentioned this but it bugs the shit out of me that Windows 7 insists on immediately resorting a filelist after I change a name or add a file. I will create a new folder and want to rename it with what is loaded in the clipboard but it doesn't stay still!
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:

Comment

I'm trying to figure out why this thread's title has a "7" in it. It might as well just ask why you hate Windows, because it looks like your discontent with Windows 7 isn't really version-specific. To me it seems like you're really complaining about the ongoing evolution of Windows as a platform, not something that's unique to a particular version. I seem to recall you having the same type of grips with every incremental version upgrade.

My chief complaint that keeps me away from all MS products is that I feel as if they have no respect for me as an end user. The windows system is specifically designed to insulate the user from the computer at it's lowest levels. Your only option in dealing with a system that has a MS OS installed is to go through the high level interface they call Windows. The problem is that the interface doesn't give you access to everything. They hide a lot of things, as if there is a prevailing mindset that the user doesn't have any reason to change many settings. The result is that the control panel lacks a lot of the tools that you're looking for, and if you want to access settings that aren't in the control panel, then you have to hunt for some sort of "power tools" add-on package that should have been part of the control panel in the first place. Then, if that doesn't work, you have to go hacking a centralized registry changing it's arcane settings. Then, if and when the registry ever gets corrupted, you're totally fucked.

I think that the centralized registry paradigm is the biggest error in windows. It's what keeps me away from the OS.

Linux is simpler. It provides you with individual config files that you can modify, erase, reinstall or whatever. If you have a problem, just wipe out the directory where the program resides and start over. Pretty simple. No lingering residuals from a previous installation. I'm sure that there's a reason that Windows embeds everything in the registry -- so that you don't have the freedom to totally wipe something out and start over with a clean slate. They want to control your behavior. They want to stop you from reinstalling a piece of demo software, for example. Centrallized control over the user is part of the entire windows "pay to play" mindset.

I took Win 7 for a test drive. The graphics were pretty, but within a few minutes I decided that I had absolutely no control over the computer, so I reformatted the drive with Linux. Now I don't grumble about Windows any more.
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

"I hate the way that my mouse (actually a Logitech trackball) works in Windows 7"

I have no problem here - just plug and play although I do have high res. monitors (1920 x 1280) which might make the difference. If I have bother highlighting with double clicks or normal click and drag or whatever then a click and drag from the end to the beginning of the text usually nails it.

Overall I'm used to Windows 7 but I don't like the look of 8...

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
            I'm trying to figure out why this thread's title has a "7" in it. It might as well just ask why you hate Windows, because it looks like your discontent with Windows 7 isn't really version-specific.
            Not at all- each item I have mentioned is a new problem introduced with Windows 7 (and/or Vista- I lump the two together) that is not present in the 64-bit Enterprise version of WinXP. The thing with the mouse has to do with graphics taking precedence over text. There were tricks with text selection that you could do in the older versions of Windows and MS Word that are entirely impossible with Win 7. For one thing, in a word processor I think that you should be able to do 90-95% of all operations with your hands hovering over the home row of your keyboard. In this regard Facebook is a much bigger offender than Windows and I see other programs and sites adopting user interfaces similar to FB. It is IMPOSSIBLE to navigate a FB page, reading and making posts and comments without using a mouse. (I have tried it- the directional arrows get stuck as FB pops up shit like a friend's name and avatar if you happen to type in a phrase like "bobbing for apples.")

It might seem like I am just griping to gripe but from what I see the whole idea of personal computing is going down the tubes turning into a blah homogenized experience not unlike TV and video games. Most apps have only a handful of options that can be set by the user- compare that to the very comprehensive set of user options that you can set in many Windows programs (or in Linux, I am sure!)

It's like picking up a guitar or bass and finding that you can't play what you want to play with it because of its design. "Who the hell thought to put the strings on the back of the neck so it doesn't detract from the patterns on the fretboard???" So put that piece of crap down and pick up an instrument that will do what you want it to do.

Steve

P.S. I am starting to think that Linux is our only salvation but I am still waiting for more software and drivers to allow you use it as digital workstation. Reaper is one of the few high octane programs that runs in Linux. With the split-second accuracy required for a DAW to operate properly Windows emulation will not cut it.
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:

Comment

Underscores are treated as spaces soa leading underscore would sort as if it began as a space. When using any of these computers I seldom care about short cuts or habits that only work on one system because I have 3 different operating systems and sets of applications to deal with so do not notice major differences between any of them. For our office, Linux does everything we need it to which is great for the budget and for my sanity since the 28 desktop computers are always on the same page and never crash. The server has been running continuously without interruption for 4 years. There have been a couple power outages but the server reboots and sends me a message that it happened. For an office, unless tied to a Mac or Windows for productivity applications like a graphic design house or video post facility, the only reason Windows is still dominate is due to habit.
              But all that said, if only keeping one machine going personally, Windows 7 has been reliable, performs well and does not interfere with work. A lot of people are hostile towards MS but the OS and their Office are only tools and it is usually easy to adopt to and suitable tool from a different form hammer to a different word processor.

Comment

Last time I looked, there was no Linux version of Reaper. They say you can try the Windows version under Wine, but I'm skeptical as to whether Wine's audio emulation would be up to professional levels. You might be getting confused with Ardour.

I take a slightly different view to Bob P et al. Computers are so complicated nowadays that I want insulated from the low-level stuff. I want it all set up with sensible default settings so I can get on with some actual work. Sure, I am giving up control of my computer, but I see it as giving up a mind-numbing job (that I don't even get paid for) to someone I trust to do it better than me.

Linux has traditionally been the worst OS from that point of view. Conway's Law says that the internal structure of a piece of software will mirror the corporate structure of the company that produced it. Accordingly, the open source movement tends to turn out amorphous mush with no overall consistency or direction, leaving the end user to sort out the mess. (Meanwhile Microsoft turned out expensive bureaucratic monoliths like its Office suite.) But nowadays the major distros like Ubuntu and Mint give a very nice user experience right out of the box.

To adjust a selection, holding down Shift and twiddling the arrow keys always worked for me on every OS.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Yes, agree, it has been 30 years since a computing box was a hobby item. It is now just an appliance used to get something done and I do not care if a few "knobs" get moved from model to model, it is easier to adapt to a new appliance when models and technology changes.
                  The switch from many versions of Windows at the office was part pragmatic, and part philosophical. Mostly because it is such a pain to keep all the machines bought at different times to be on the same page, the same config, same version. With Mint or Ubuntu daily updates are automatic and all perform the same with the same version drivers, the only thing different is everyone puts their own desktop background image of choice. Next week, I am switching them all to Mint 15 and then will probably not touch any of them again unless it dies.
                  The Unity user interface was controversial and cost Ubuntu market share but they needed it for a common interface across desktops, tablets and smartphones. In the long run they are going to gain it all back. Tablets and smartphones already account for 30% of our web sales, a much higher figure than I would have guessed since the site was never optimized for mobile. I am building a new site which is "responsive"(the new buzzword for web developer sales pitch.
                  So hardware and even OS becomes less relevant by the day. Our own backend office applications are all cloud based now, so every function anyone needs to perform can be done from their mobile, without regard to OS or hardware.
                  Shoot, the last updates to the cruise itinerary database I did, was this morning while riding the bus to a new cafe I wanted to try, so it was done with an Android device. With a mobile optimized site and shopping cart/booking engine, I expect 50% or more of bookings next summer will be via mobile devices. Android has overtaken Windows for installed base. iOS is right up there now, way over the Mac total installs. MS had better do a better job of becoming relevant or it will be come the next Kodak. Balmer leaving is the best first move.

Comment

Why I hate Windoz, not just 7!
                    You always need to Register, update and buy something.
                    Viruscan
                    AntiSpamWare
                    Office Suite
                    etc.
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                      Last time I looked, there was no Linux version of Reaper. They say you can try the Windows version under Wine, but I'm skeptical as to whether Wine's audio emulation would be up to professional levels. You might be getting confused with Ardour.
                      I hadn't heard of Ardour (thanks for the heads up!)- I must have been thinking of people running Reaper under Wine. My bad!

I take a slightly different view to Bob P et al. Computers are so complicated nowadays that I want insulated from the low-level stuff. I want it all set up with sensible default settings so I can get on with some actual work. Sure, I am giving up control of my computer, but I see it as giving up a mind-numbing job (that I don't even get paid for) to someone I trust to do it better than me. Linux has traditionally been the worst OS from that point of view. Conway's Law says that the internal structure of a piece of software will mirror the corporate structure of the company that produced it. Accordingly, the open source movement tends to turn out amorphous mush with no overall consistency or direction, leaving the end user to sort out the mess.
                      I like having plenty of configurable options, but with default settings that will work for most people. Here is a sample setup screen for uTorrent:

There is certain "hacker" mentality to many of the Linux/Unix buffs on-line which turns me off. Usually prefacing all remarks with "Dude" they will quote one parameter or another for you to enter but unless you are an expert you don't understand the shorthand that they use. Like in music when someone tells you to play a really complicated chord on guitar without spelling out the notes. Getting back to those code freaks they will omit instructions that they consider to be obvious to anyone ("Well of course you back up the root before performing these operations- d'uh!"

I run into this crap on the forums that tell you how to hack and root Android code (which I guess is a variation of Linux- right?)
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:

Comment

Yes, Android is Linux with a heavy sprinkling of Google pixie dust. I believe iOS and Mac OS are based on FreeBSD which is kind of similar to Linux, just with a political rift going back to the 70s.

I feel your pain, the Unix command line can be pretty impenetrable to a beginner or indeed almost anyone.

Back to the original topic, I mainly use a corporate version of Win7 Ultimate that probably has the worst of the annoyances tweaked out by our IT department. The only thing that regularly bugs me is the "Libraries" which seem to be some kind of automatic kludging together of folders that the OS believes to contain related things.

Oh, and when you plug in a Microsoft mouse it spends half an hour installing the Microsoft mouse tool. Plug the same mouse into a different USB port and it does it all over again.
                        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

"Oh, and when you plug in a Microsoft mouse it spends half an hour installing the Microsoft mouse tool. Plug the same mouse into a different USB port and it does it all over again. "

Interesting. That would suggest that the system registry is permanently recording the address of one specific USB port when it registers the mouse, and that it only looks to that single port for the mouse after it is installed. Then if it's not there, the system decides that no mouse has been installed and you get to re-install all over again. How lame.

That's part of the registry business that I was complaining about. Microsoft is far too anal retentive about where it expects to find a device and where it is willing look for it. That's really stupid. USB devices have plugs on them because people are expected to plug and unplug USB devices. Expecting a user to memorize which port the mouse has to go into is just silly.

It would seem much simpler to just let the kernel poll the ports at boot time, find a device that identifies itself as a mouse, and dynamically made a decision to use it. That's how a smart coder would tackle the problem.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                            Yes, Android is Linux with a heavy sprinkling of Google pixie dust. I believe iOS and Mac OS are based on FreeBSD which is kind of similar to Linux, just with a political rift going back to the 70s.
                            I'm not a student of unix/linux/bsd politics. But I do understand that the licensing agreements are the main reason that Apple chose BSD instead of Linux as the platform upon which Mac OS is built.

Apple couldn't choose linux because the kernel's licensing agreement requires that any software that is distributed with the kernel be free of charge. Apple wanted a pay to play OS, so Linux was off the table. BSD, however, embraces the pay to play concept, and allows Apple to charge for a product that is packaged with the kernel. I think that's the only reason that Mac OS is based on BSD. There's no other practical reason for the choice.

Comment

I've just plugged a Microsoft mouse into all three ports on my laptop and it works right away.
                              Must be some of those hard to find settings

Comment

Working...
                              X