This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    That's great if all you are talking about in flatwork is Strat Pickups.
    There are many more types of pickups that use forbon flatwork that ADFX doesn't have.
    So ADFX is only an economical fix for Strats, nothing else, when it comes to Flatwork!
    On Tone Kraft, if you have to buy a 3 strat pickup set for $30 a whack, that don't seem to be any kind of a bargain either?
    The best I can tell the Tone Kraft stuff is already assembled, which is fine if the spacing between the flats they use, if the magnet length, and stagger they use suits you?
    Just Saying, We need more options!

T
    Optiions are great to have. From what I've seen in the short time I've been winding is there is nobody out there supplying winders with what they need and prices are scattered like my winding.

Quality of the bobbins they assemble? Well I'm one to get some and decided for myself rather than take anothers word but I can say I've placed and received numerous orders from them and not one issue. I can't say that about the other places I've ordered from. YMMV.

Bargain? To each their own when it comes to that. I can say I've purchased parts to make my bobbins and purchased bits and pieces all over the place and what I get for the sets at Tone-Kraft is more than a bargain.

If I guess the price of the wire at about $2.50 per pup and figure each pup costs me around $12.50 ...well I'm good to go.

Naturally some don't care about the "one stop shopping" , selection choices, shipping box, flatwork selection, selection of covers, wiring choices, engraving option, magnet options and all for about $10.00 a pup. To me, that is a great bargain.
    I don't know of any place where I can pick from the selection and options they have and get everything needed for that price. Do you?

The time and hassle it saves me makes it a no-brainer to go there.
    Now if they'd start handling Humbucker kits I'd be in high cotton.

Comment

Tone Kraft sounds like good quality stuff.
      Yes, that is too expensive IMO.
      I don't make that many Strat Pickups, I mainly do other stuff.
      I also don't want any flatwork already assembled.
      That part of the process, what magnets you use, how you bevel, how you stagger, and bobbin height is what makes my Strat pickups unique and Custom.
      If you need assembled, then you're all set.
      Like I say, that's good, but we can always use more options.
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I've also used tonekraft many times with excellent results. They have great service and William is very quick to answer emails and whatnot.
        THey will also be selling flatwork soon, along with adding other stuff as well.
        If I'm feeling lazy I get a premade bobbin by them, I think they are $25ish for a strat set. You can request any mix or stagger you want, or at least I have.

Comment

It's not "need assembled" Terry...it's they are assembled as they should be for my guitars and don't need to be customized. Besides, I couldn't engrave them and I really like that. Major plus to me. Like I said though...to each their own.

For someone like myself being able to spend a couple of minutes making the selection for all the choices and placing ONE order for all I need (for a guitar I'm building) is so convenient that there really is no option. At least I don't know of one and since you didn't answer I'll assume you don't either.
          It is a hassle and waste of time rounding up all the bits and pieces from different vendors and paying shipping to each one so why would I do that? Well I did when I started winding and it was a real pisser to spend that time and money then to receive orders that had damaged parts, wrong parts or missing parts. I still have to deal with that when I need to wind humbucker types. Sure wish TK would eliminate that problem for me.

As is; I spend a few minutes, spend a fraction of the cost for one pickup and get a three...just can't imagine it being better.

There are also other pluses I didn't mention. I don't know how many times I've received covers that were scratched or screwed up...not one time with TK. Everything is in the box one could use for shipping. Protected and complete. That means a lot to somebody that doesn't keep a quantity of parts around.
          I order for the guitar I'm building and have no use for pieces on the shelf.
          That's why doing business with them is a "bargain" to me.
          I can see it not being right for somebody trying to make profit only with the pickups. When I think about it like that...man, I'm glad I have other things to do personally.

Well it feels great when one finds that which works for them. Hope you have or do.

Comment

I'm retired, I've never made much profit, I don't do it for the money.
            I usually give more stuff away than I sell.
            Pre-assembled is not my deal.
            And Strat pickups is not much of what I do.
            What a lot of us need is some more flatwork makers, besides just a few fender models.
            That is what I was trying to emphasize before the Thread took the TK Detour.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

That's great if all you are talking about in flatwork is Strat Pickups.
              There are many more types of pickups that use forbon flatwork that ADFX doesn't have.
              So ADFX is only an economical fix for Strats, nothing else, when it comes to Flatwork!
              On Tone Kraft, if you have to buy a 3 strat pickup set for $30 a whack, that don't seem to be any kind of a bargain either?
              The best I can tell the Tone Kraft stuff is already assembled, which is fine if the spacing between the flats they use, if the magnet length, and stagger they use suits you?
              Just Saying, We need more options!

T
              The tone-kraft kits are a bit too expensive for my tastes but you also have to factor in what you get for that $30... You get the 3 bobbins, pickup covers, lead wires, pickup screws and tubing and a fancy cardboard box to put em in. I know a lot of that stuff is pretty cheap but for someone looking for a one stop shop experience it's hard to beat... stewmac wants $15 per assembled bobbin so $30 for 3 with all the extras is a pretty decent deal... not the best deal... but decent. But I what I love about them is that I don't have to buy in crazy quantities to get a good discount on magnets... as far as addictionfx goes I agree they are good for strat, tele and humbuckers and not much else... but since I mostly do strat pickups addictionfx is perfect for me. Although addictionfx does sell small sheets for forbon that could be used for other pickups besides strat pickups. But I feel they are too expensive...

Edit: Tone-kraft will do just about anything you ask for... If you want just one bobbin they will do it... hell I'm sure that they would even leave them unassembled if you wanted them to.

Comment

Agreed, it's a good deal, now back to where can we buy some eyelets?
                T
                Terry

Comment

T
                  You can get 50 for $4.25 at TK.
                  It sounds like they have you covered for custom flatwork and eyelets.

But I feel like you're looking for something that I don't realize and sorry if mentioning TK's parts derailed your thread. Over and out.

Comment

TK does sell the eyelets, thanks.
                    TK does not sell flatwork, they sell Pickup set kits made from flatwork.
                    There is a difference.
                    Kits are not the same as loose laser cut flatwork.
                    I'm looking for deals on flatwork, besides strat flatwork.
                    ADFX has the best deal on Strat flatwork by far.
                    ADFX has that covered.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

ADFX has eyelets Bobbin Eyelets 80 Pieces FOR Single Bobbins Pickups | eBay
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Thanks Copper.
                        That is a good price on the eyelets.
                        ADFX doesn't show them on their website.
                        I still don't have a FleBay Acct.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

TK does sell the eyelets, thanks.
                          TK does not sell flatwork, they sell Pickup set kits made from flatwork.
                          There is a difference.
                          Kits are not the same as loose laser cut flatwork.
                          I'm looking for deals on flatwork, besides strat flatwork.
                          ADFX has the best deal on Strat flatwork by far.
                          ADFX has that covered.
                          T
                          They will be selling flatwork starting April 2015, according to William @ tonekraft.

Comment

T
                            Addictionfx has the best deals on eyelets I have seen. 250 for $6.99...

Comment

They are on the Dealer PDF.
                              http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...price-2014.pdf
                              Last edited by big_teee; 03-20-2015, 02:13 AM.
                              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                                Same old, same old. . .

$4.99 U.S. For 80 pieces. Plus $29.25 U.S. for shipping. $34.24 U.S. Total. That's ~ $45.00 CDN or about $0.56 per eyelet. Gotta love buying from Canada.
                                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                                VA3DEF
                                ____________________________________________________
                                In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever, “When everyone is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking.”

Comment

Working...
                                X