Traversers for CNC a winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traversers for CNC a winder

For any hobbyist thinking about getting into building building a CNC winder, here is the best style of motor I can imagine. Oops, "in my opinion" as my wife always makes me add. I wish I had had one when I was building mine. It's a dual motion rotary/linear actuator. Not sure what the stroke or resolution are on this specific unit here, but if the linear stroke is 1" or more and the resolution .000125 - .000375 area. At $45 it would be a GREAT find as they are ~ $450 new! Two controllers, some coding and some brackets and you're done!

Haydon Switch Instrument Stepper Motor Rotary Linear Precision | eBay

Also a lot of capitve linear actuators out there for sale right now as well. Perfect hobbyist type traversers!

Set of 7 Haydon Switch Stepper Motors Size 11 Part 28H67 05 910 | eBay

Set of 5 Haydon Switch Stepper Motors Size 11 Part 28H67 05 910 | eBay

Set of 2 Stepper Motors Size 11 Made by Haydon Switch | eBay

Haydon Switch Stepper Motor Part 28H67 05 910 Size 11 | eBay

This last group are unipolar motors not bipolar, but that's just a little different bit of coding and and different controller.

Definitely worth a look into for a hobbyist going down this road to see exactly how these traversers could work for in a CNC winder (especially the rotoray/linear unit if the specs were right).
    Last edited by kayakerca; 09-08-2013, 12:42 AM.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Thanks Jim ... they are the exact ones I use

Fully Auto Traversing Scatter Winder - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
      Thanks Jim ... they are the exact ones I use

Fully Auto Traversing Scatter Winder - YouTube
      Thought you'd recognize it!
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

I couldn't find any specs under the part numbers listed. Steve do you know off hand what the Volts and Amps are for these. What voltage are you running them at to get the RPMs up over 1000?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          I couldn't find any specs under the part numbers listed. Steve do you know off hand what the Volts and Amps are for these. What voltage are you running them at to get the RPMs up over 1000?
          Part Number: LR35HH4J-2.33-011

- LR = Linear/Rotary (the one motor does both)
          - 35 = Motor series 3500 (size of mount footprint)
          - H = Rotary step angle of 1.8°
          - H = Linear step angle of 1.8°
          - 4 = 4 wire (bipolar stepper)
          - J = Stepper resolution of .00048"
          - 2.33 = DC voltage (~ 1.25 amps/phase)
          - 011 = Linear travel of 11 mm.

The speed (rotary rpm as per your question) would be dictated by the controller(s) used. 1,000 rpm would be no problem for the motor itself.

Haydon Kerk - Linear Actuators, Precision Leadscrews, and Linear Rails > Linear Actuator Products > Stepper Motor Linear Actuators > Dual Motion Linear Actuators > Dual Motion Part Numbers

The only issue with this particular unit is the stroke of 11 mm (~ .433"). Great for humbuckers and P90's, but maybe not so much so for Tele and Strat s/c's.

Hope that helps a bit David.
          Last edited by kayakerca; 09-10-2013, 09:26 PM. Reason: clarification points
          Take Care,

Jim. . .
          VA3DEF

Comment

Ah yes, Thanks Jim,
            The throw isn't nearly enough. Too bad as the voltage is low enough to get some speed out of it at a reasonable torque.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
              Ah yes, Thanks Jim,
              The throw isn't nearly enough. Too bad as the voltage is low enough to get some speed out of it at a reasonable torque.
              Ya, I'm not sure how Steve deals with that unless his unit's stroke is greater than the Haydon 11 mm dual motion ones on ebay. I went with a a Haydon linear actuator with a 2" stroke for my winder on a "just because it cost the same" rationale.

The linear actuator units above from the ebay listings are 6 wire unipolar steppers with 1" stroke which is just fine. These linear actuators are an outstanding deal as strong rotary stepper to do the winding part is only $15.
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

Working...
              X