Fender Super Six Reverb Re-Cap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Super Six Reverb Re-Cap Question

I have the head to a Super Six Reverb that could use some new filter caps. The amp currently has two 70uf 450V and three 20uf 600v electrolytic caps under the dog house and I was wondering what you suggest for replacements. I was leaning towards what EL34World suggests: using 100uf 350V caps in place of the 70uf and 20uf/500v for the rest. Do you think this will be a problem since the voltage is only 500 and not 600 like the stock caps? I am trying to avoid ordering the Sprauge Atom 600V caps for $18 a pop. Anything else I should check for while I am in there? The owner of the amp took the head out to cut down the cab to a more manageable 2 x 10 combo, so I figured it would give it a cleaning and servicing while it's convenient. He will also be buying all new tubes to replace the old ones. Any suggestions on good replacements?

Fender Super Six Reverb Info

Link to Fender Super Six Reverb schematic

Link to gutshot pics
    My Builds:
    5E3 Deluxe Build
    5F1 Champ Build
    6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Originally posted by Wittgenstein View Post
    Do you think this will be a problem since the voltage is only 500 and not 600 like the stock caps?
    And when you measure the dc voltage on the existing caps what reading do you get?

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      And when you measure the dc voltage on the existing caps what reading do you get?
      That is the thing... I have not been able to power it up as is. The owner has the speakers and the reverb tank, and I do not have a dummy load to hook it up to measure the voltage.
      My Builds:
      5E3 Deluxe Build
      5F1 Champ Build
      6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

You don't have ANY speaker cab?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You can run it in stand-by without a load, then measure the voltage at the standby switch. Schem. shows 470VDC there in standby, with modern voltage it will be higher, but I doubt much more than 500V, so you should be fine with those caps you suggested.
          The two 70uf's are in series so the voltages add, with two 350V caps there you are good for 700V.
          If the B+ voltage in standby is much more than 500V, you may need a higher voltage rating on the 20uf that goes to the choke.
          Another thing is you could put a short across the speaker jack for the purposes of checking DC voltages with no signal applied (out of standby).
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That's quite the beast to be running through two 10" speakers unless he is play bass through it with a modern bass cab.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
              That's quite the beast to be running through two 10" speakers unless he is play bass through it with a modern bass cab.
              I agree, I think the plan is to have it as a 2 x 10 combo and a separate 2 x 10" speaker cab, but I did express my wattage concerns. I think he was planning on using an attenuator when only only using 2 x 10s.
              My Builds:
              5E3 Deluxe Build
              5F1 Champ Build
              6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

A Twin by any other name . . . With solid state rectifiers, I'd even go to 220 uF 350V primary filter caps and 47 uF 500V at the screen grid level as I generally do with Twins, Dual Showman, Bassman 100 and other similar Fenders. I was going to suggest, package it as a 2x12 because . . . that's what it is. Since he's apparently done the "chainsaw job" on the cab, 10's will do. Choose some very heavy duty ones. I'm thinkin' Weber California or Michigan. Take a close look at its external speaker jack. Somewhere in the 70's Fender put in a fancy jack that auto-switches to a 2 ohm output winding when a plug is inserted into the ext speaker jack. If that's what it has, very handy when using the ext speaker cab.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I've used THESE before when the 600v rating is necessary.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                  X