FX Loop problem with delay pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX Loop problem with delay pedal

Sorry for being such a pain in neck, but for the first time in my life I’m using the FX Loop of my Laney GH 50L head, and I’m having some problems.

I bought a Carl Martin Red Repeat to get that Andy Timmons short delay, that comes in hand in some solos just do add depth and ambience.

As I use the distortion from the amp I decided to use the FX Loop, which gives me 3 options: 1. Bypass 2. Side Chain and 3. Insert. Also there’s a knob that is active once you chose Side Chain or Insert.

Well, I’ve tried everything and the results are all the same: I barely hear the delay notes, and even if I max out the repeat knob I only get 2 repeats. (and I get some noise with the side chain option)

This is what the manual of the amp says:

“FX Return Level: this control serves two purposes:

* In side chain mode controls the level of the FX Return signal mixed with the dry signal.
    * In insert mode it behaves as an overall level control.

Side Chain: the return signal is mixed with the dry signal, the level of the FX return is controlled by the FX return level control. This allows you to set the right mix between the dry signal and the effects signal.

Insert: The return signal is buffered and sent directly to the output tubes, no mixing with the dry signal happens. The wet/dry mix is adjusted within the external FX processor. The FX return level control acts as overall level control allowing you to make up for any insertion loss that may occur in the FX processor.
    Warning: In the insert mode with the FX return level set to minimum the amplifier will have no output)”

So, any suggestions?

How do you guys use your delay pedals?

You have, of course, tried the delay into the input of the amp to be sure it's not the pedal.

You've also made sure the cables are good by plugging each one directly from send to return and putting the loop in Insert mode.

And while trying out the cables, verified that the FX level control works as described.

Sometimes it's the simplest, dumbest thing ... and it costs me a week to find it.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
    X