Favorite Fender tone stack values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Fender tone stack values?

I've been thinking of tweaking my super reverb a bit. It's got some excess bass, I never turn it up too much, I was considering changing some values in the tone stack to tighten it up a bit.
    For instance, I know that Twins have a .047 where the Super has a .022. I imagine this was to compensate for the extra bass the 12" speakers gave, but my Emi Ragin Cajun speakers have plenty bass.
    I know reducing the .1 cap would reduce some bass also but I don't want to go too far. I want it to be full and punchy, while keeping it 'tight.'
    Also, do some people optimize the cap type for the frequencies? For instance, do you prefer a yellow Mallory for mids and an orange drop for bass? Or whatever?

Personally, I tighten them up by changing the first stage cathode bypass cap to a much smaller value. Try 2.2 mf as a starting point.

Comment

To my (incomplete) knowledge, the Super is the only Fender that didn't use a .047, so that would be a good idea. I downloaded Duncan's Tone Stack Calculator when I was playing with my tone stack.

here's a link:
      http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

If it's an issue of frequency response more than absolute volume of the bass, sticking in a higher value resistor for the mids could help.
      Increasing the value of the slope resistor will also shift the range of the tone controls to a lower frequency.

Comment

Working...
      X