Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper posture for bench repair?

Hi folks

Just thought I'd start a thread on posture for the work bench. Lately I've developed a nasty pain in my back and neck and I'm pretty sure it's down to long hours spent on repairing equipment on the bench.

Just want to get other peoples opinions on bench work practices, bench types, proper height etc..
    What to do or not to do. I'm toying with the idea of an adjustable bench. A friend said he has a massage table that I might be able to convert in a bench.

I have an adjustable high chair with no back support which probably isn't helping too!

Anyway any thoughts and ideas welcome.

Regards

Joe

Although it is mostly a personal preference, there are some advantages to a higher bench. I prefer to set up all the benches in my shops to be at a comfortable standing level and chair, without arm rests where it is easy to go from standing to sitting without lifting the torso. When getting up 100 times a day that height reduces strain on the legs and knees. After 10 hours one is much less tired and ready to go out dancing or for a jog.
    I also filled the shop with sturdy AV carts so a heavy or large unit can roll up to the bench and either be transferred to the bench or be worked on on the cart. Little features like that start to add up and improve shop efficiency and increase profits and decrease fatigue.

Comment

Adjustable bench? How about adjustable chair instead?

There is a reason stools in a bar are tall. You are still at more or less the same altitude standing or seated. In the bar, that is to facilitate socializing. But in the shop, I want my bench to be at a level I can approach while standing. I mostly sit, but if I have to stand to wrangle something, I don't want to bend over. On my stool, I can put my feet on the floor and stand without major position adjustment. This bench is 35 inches, and I usually build benches in the 33-35 inch range. I have built my own supports, but mostly if I want a bench, I go over to WW Grainger and buy a pair of bench legs, I make my own tops and screw on the leg set.

I use carts like Stan mentioned, they appear to be 31 inches tall here. I can take apart an amp or inspect it on the cart, and if I need to just grasp it and swing it over to the bench, or vice versa.

You can have back trouble or muscle fatigue on any height seating. I believe it is more about how you sit than how tall the chair is. For example, if you tend to hunch over to get a good close look at your work, and push your face down close, then you are curving your back.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I am an occupational therapist and have specialized training in ergonomics. The reality is that there is no correct height, posture, or position to work in. The "best" posture and work environment is one that allows you to change positions OFTEN and take periodic breaks with static and dynamic stretching. This is hard to remember as we get carried away with our tasks on the bench but it is the only way to decrease or eliminate musculoskeletal issues.

I will say as far as bench height it would be preferable to have a tall surface for standing and a stool to sit, again alternating positions is the takeaway here.

Comment

That's why I get up and take a short walk every hour at work.

I like my bench cart level, for easy equipment transfer which is still a perfect level if I need to stand to do something.
          And yeah, an adjustable chair is easier, and sometimes I like different heights for different jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
            That's why I get up and take a short walk every hour at work...
            Good idea. I don't walk much, but I do ride a bike 10-20 miles a day.

The solution is to just not sit at your bench much. I also have a couch nearby where I order parts, study schematics, read manuals, et cetera.

Comment

I find that I do best when I stand at the bench. I do have a high stool that I use occasionally. I am 6'2" tall so I built my bench 39" high. I have the test equipment on a deep shelf over then bench, lots of light, a magnifying visor and inspection lamp so I don't need to bend down for extended periods. I learned that was bad for my back and neck a long time ago. I use various size blocks to elevate the work piece when necessary. Even knowing my history of injuries I still get into trouble by overdoing it on a project I just want to finish. The key, as has been mentioned, is good posture, frequent breaks, stretching and staying in good shape. I still want to build and adjustable chassis cradle.

Comment

Sitting in one spot for more than 15 minutes would be rare in a commercial shop, with walking to the parts room or schematic library, retrieving or returning units to the burn-in rack or done racks. In fact, getting a chance to sit still for 20 minutes would be a rare luxury.
                If a problem was not diagnosed in 15-20 minutes, another 2 hours will not either so I encouraged everyone to ask for assistance in getting another opinion of how to view the problem or at least walk away from it and come back later after doing another unit. For the most difficult cases, I suggestion was to take fundamental measurements just before leaving for the night and go have dinner or recreation, the break will usually result in the problem popping into perspective, and most often just as falling asleep. This style meant little sitting in one place for very long. It worked pretty good for us, or at least did not become boring or tiring.

Comment

I've re-arranged my workspace now and it feels a lot better. My bench is about 40 inches high, so I can stand or sit at the bench but defo need to get a better adjustable stool. The one I have is adjustable but could do with a back support. Have a separate desk for the computer at a lower height so I move around a lot more now, which as stated is a good thing.

I think part of what was happening was I had the same stool for the work bench and for looking at the computer so was spending a lot of the day on the one chair.

The AV carts mentioned sound interesting and will look into getting something like that, space permitting!

I agree with km6xz about diagnosing problems in 15-20 mins. I find taking a break if the stress levels go up works well.
                  It's great when your mind relaxes and a solution pops in to your head. Good meditation!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comment

My computer screen is right on my bench. I almost always use it for schematic display. I do have shelves full of paper ones, but prefer the screen.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Any prolonged haunched position is applying an unnatural strain on lower back muscles. When I did workplace assessment training, one of the tuition props was a plastic human spine with a handle attached to one of the lower vertebra. The idea was to be able to move the spine with this and appreciate the loading the weight of the upper body places on the support structures of the lower back. It certainly made you think how much force that slouching generates.

Also, a head is quite heavy at around 10lb and if you're leaning over it places a continual strain on neck and shoulder muscles.

I worked for a good number of years in a newspaper wire-room and we had high stools and high benches. You hardly had to shift posture from sitting to standing and this was the most comfortable work environment I've experienced, despite having to move from a seated position 100s of times a day. The comfort offered by a Pedersen bicycle demonstrates how spinal, neck and joint alignment go a long way to reducing fatigue.

In general, work benches, stools and chairs are far too low and do not cater for the range in people's height. My own chair was made to measure, and it's still fully adjustable. That's not to say that everyone needs a custom chair, It's just that I'm 6' 7" and I find that stock furniture doesn't offer any level of comfort. I also made my own bed. And lie on it, as they say.

My opinion is that regularly stretching or moving around doesn't really address bad posture for the rest of the time. The recovery from persistently fatigued muscles tales longer than a 5% duty cycle of slouch-to-stretch. Better to get the posture correct in the first place and then to regularly change position, stretch or whatever.

Don't forget lighting and magnification in the equation, as well as ensuring your eyesight is ok. I worked for years with eye strain without realising I needed reading glasses. Or I was in self-denial.

Comment

Working...
                      X