Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what this rectifier is??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RCA book calls that base wiring 6S. The only types they show for 6S are 6X5, 6AX5, and 6ZY5.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, the rectifiers aren't here yet so I got up the nerve to test it without. I cut out the old filter caps which looked original, jumpered in new ones and put in the 6SL7 and 6V6. I put it on my current limiter and turned it on. The bulb glowed dimly and the heaters for the two tubes lit up. The PT didn't heat up or smell. Does this suggest the transformer is okay?
      The rectifiers are somewhere here in Canada and should arrive in a day or three.

Comment

Originally posted by Resonator Guy View Post
        Well, the rectifiers aren't here yet so I got up the nerve to test it without. I cut out the old filter caps which looked original, jumpered in new ones and put in the 6SL7 and 6V6. I put it on my current limiter and turned it on. The bulb glowed dimly and the heaters for the two tubes lit up. The PT didn't heat up or smell. Does this suggest the transformer is okay?
        The rectifiers are somewhere here in Canada and should arrive in a day or three.
        Certainly a good sign. Why don't you measure the HV AC on the PT secondaries? The filter caps in or out won't do much without a rectifier. And... as stated before, with a couple of very common and cheap diodes you could make a rectifier for test.

Comment

Olddawg, it would probably take equally long to get some diodes. There are no electronic stores within a 2 1/2 hour drive. I will get some and do some reading so I will be better prepared next time. I will attempt some readings tomorrow. Going out to play tonight!

Comment

My 99 cent rectifiers arrived this AM. I tested the amp with all three tubes on the current limiter and it looked just fine. Then I plugged it in and all looked well again. So I hooked up the speaker and plugged in a guitar. Pretty decent noise came out. The PT doesn't heat up or smell but I haven't tried it for long periods. I am pleased though. The caps I have patched in are too small - 3x10mf rather than 3x15mf , so I am putting together an order for caps etc and I think I have another cool amp for my collection.

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
            X