Switching Relays Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Relays Recommendation

I'm thinking of building a two channel amp using relay's for series and shunt switching and wondering if there are preferred relay brands/models people use? I'm going to run them off of their own supply either using some salvaged components for 9V relays or buy new parts for 5V.

If you're only switching signals of less than 10-20V, including low level input signals, get relays which specifically say "low signal" relays or "telecom" relays. The contacts are set up to be self wiping precious metals that don't grow an oxide film that prevents low voltage signals from punching through. If you're switching high voltage or AC power, get "general purpose" relays.

I like the Panasonic TQ series, and the Axicom series. Fujitsu also bought a relay company and sells them - Takamisawa, I believe. These are all reliable low signal relays.

Picking a coil voltage depends on how you will drive them. If you intend to do only footswitch or panel switches for flipping them, pick power and relay coil rating to match, and you're done. If you intend to run them from CMOS logic to couple up different fancy functions, pick 5V or 9V to match your power supply. If you even intend to use a microcontroller for even fancier functions (remote control, anyone? ), the go 5V.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Awesome! TYVM!

Planning to use one button footswitch control with a simple bjt to isolate the inputs and outputs of each channel sinking the "off" channel through 1M to ground.

Comment

Working...
      X