Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ace Tone 301 Speaker Information

Hi all
    I purchased an Ace Tone 301 amp. One of the speakers is missing and I believe the one installed is not original (Sony brand). I don't have a schematic for this amp so I am not sure what ohm speakers to use. The output transformer has 2 ohms written on it. Would this imply (2) 4 ohm speakers?
    Attached Files

Should I trust the 2 ohm marking on the output transformer?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerostoon View Post
      Should I trust the 2 ohm marking on the output transformer?
      Sometimes the primary side will also be marked with an impedance, is it?

If it is and if the impedance matches the expected impedance of the output tubes, then yes it would be looking for a 2 ohm load.

Comment

It indicates 2k ohms. Does that help?

It uses two 12AX7's in the preamp and a 50HB26 power tube.
        Attached Files

Comment

That helps, at least we know the ratio is 1000. The other thing that would help is the plate and screen voltage on the output tube.
          According to a post elsewhere, it is around 300V: Print Page - some help with a compatible tube in an acetone amp
          Attached is the data sheet for the 50H-B26, perhaps 52Bill or someone could interpolate the data for what the Z would be at around 300V.
          Attached Files
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I found a bit of information relating to the 50HB26 tube. I found a wiring diagram for a different amp with two 12AX7's and two 50HB26 on a foreign website. It was written in Chinese but I could see a link to the wiring diagram and a little info on the tube.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Aerostoon; 10-07-2013, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Not being able to read Japanese makes it difficult to get much info from the data sheets.

I looks like the load resistance for a single tube at 150v is 800 ohms. I would guess that at 300v the load could rise to 2K, so the speaker load could be 2 ohms. The amp has two 8" speakers? It could have been loaded with two Champ type speakers, 8" at 4 ohms.

Comment

Thanks for your help! I will go with two 4 ohm speakers hooked in parallel. I'm pretty certain that will work ok.

Comment

Working...
                X