Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I add a Piezo tweeter to Peavey KB100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I add a Piezo tweeter to Peavey KB100?

I have two 1984 KB100's. I've noticed that more current amps have piezo tweeters as well to accentuate the higher freqs. Can I add a CTS piezo tweeter to my existing KB100's? I also have a Fender KXR60 and it has a tweeter and I've attached a part schematic showing the speaker/tweeter configuration. Am I crazy?
    Attached Files

I'm pretty sure the KB100 already has a tweeter. Possibly yours is blown or has a bad crossover cap? At any rate you can certainly add one (or another one) if you like.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks - if it does have a tweeter it's not shown on the schematic - I haven't looked in the cab yet.

Comment

Schematic covers the amp, not the cab.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And I'm quite sure you already have a Piezo there.
          The KXR schematic shows one.
          Notice it's confirmed a Piezo because it has no crossover capacitor, just a 2 resistor attenuator, probably to tame its shrillness.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            And I'm quite sure you already have a Piezo there.
            The KXR schematic shows one.
            Notice it's confirmed a Piezo because it has no crossover capacitor, just a 2 resistor attenuator, probably to tame its shrillness.
            The piezos can get shrill if you drive them hard. I once built a couple of small cabs for our PA with six of them at 3 different angles that sounded fantastic as long as you kept the level down. They even took some of the load off the HF horns.
            ..Joe L

Comment

My KB100 is roughly the same vintage and it has a piezo horn (~3"X6") mounted to the grill. Are your grills intact? Although there are no resistors, it's not shrill at all. Mine came from the transfer station (dump); someone had stomped on the speaker. Sounds great with a JBL in it. I use it for bass in band #2 at the moment.

Comment

Thanks Dave. I'm somewhat embarased! I was looking only at the schematic and the tweeter doesn't show there but you are correct - both my KB100's have tweeters!

Comment

I wonder just how you didn't notice the actual tweeters before
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Ok, I'm going to laugh uncontrollably in 3... 2... 1... No, I just can't. I've told myself and others that there is no such thing as a stupid question, and it would be unethical for me to laugh uncontrollably. So I'm not going to. Oui awl mayk misteaks, rite?. ;o)

Comment

Working...
                    X