Can I plug my Photography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I plug my Photography?

I consulted Enzo about this, he suggested I post a thread and ask about it here. (don't know who the moderators are so I thought Enzo might be a good person to start with)

I've been a photographer for 30 years. After 10 years of people telling me I should, I finally decided to try putting some of my work on the market at the site in my signature. This is a Print On Demand (POD) site, not a pay per click, nobody makes a penny until someone orders a print. Technically, not spam.

However...I'm concerned about how it may be perceived. What I'm mostly interested in doing is getting some of the folks on here to help me get my name out there. Many or most of you may be just like me, too broke to do a lot of buying, but may have family, friends, or online contacts who might be interested, especially with Christmas coming soon.

So what I'm asking is look at my work, if you think it's good enough, pass the word around.

If that would be considered spamming the forums, I'll delete the text of this thread or ask the moderators to just delete it. The last thing I want to do is spam anybody...I did the same thing recently on a musician forum, several have already been kind enough to post my link on Facebook, that's the kind of thing I'm interested in.

So feel free to offer your opinions, as long as you try to be decent about it I'm not hard to get along with and don't mind if you disagree. But if the majority consensus is that it will be viewed as spamming the forums, I'll cease and desist gladly.

Here's the link, it's also in my signature. See for yourself, and let me know what you think.

Billy Griffis Jr - Fine Art

Thanks
    Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

I'm a newcomer on this forum, so my opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight. But here's my €0,02 anyway.

I really dislike spam on forums. I've quit forums because of this. However, you're not pushing pharmaceuticals, gambling/dating websites, make-easy-money-schemes or chinese crap. You're using a section of this forum titled "Plug your product/service" to let people know about a form of art you're involved in and quite rightly are proud of. Such things don't bother me in the least.

Besides, I find that quite a few techies are accomplished photographers. As for me, I shoot concerts.

Comment

I don't have a problem with your posting, you are after all, posting in the appropriate section for plugging your product, not just spamming. Good luck with your art.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Technically I guess this section is for plugging music electronics-related products and services. Having said that, I'm a moderator and I'm cool with it.

The kind of spam we're not cool with is automated spambots selling fake Gucci watches and the like. We have several spam filters and if any crud gets through we just delete it all on sight.

PS: I love "Heron On A Foggy Day".
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I'm cool with it too, because you're a active member of the forum.

What's not cool is when outsiders come in here and register just to plug stuff. That's why there's a sub-forum for non-members.
          -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Technically I guess this section is for plugging music electronics-related products and services.
            That was my primary concern. I'm not an electronics tech, far from it, and this is not related in any way to that field. And thanks.

PS: I love "Heron On A Foggy Day"
            That shot has gotten more positive comments than probably any picture I've ever taken. And thanks again.

And thanks to everyone who has replied, both for not accusing me of spamming, and for the kind comments regarding my work.
            Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Comment

Cool with the idea, since it was very politely presented and carried .

And FWIW I absolutely **loved** Wood Storks in Fog

More than "Heron" or others, because it contrasts the general foggy ambiance with contrasty B/W images as main subject.

Tasty, as in sweet/sour/tangy combinations if that means something.

Congratulations again.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks a lot JM, and glad you like that shot. I like that one too, and the one with Roseate Spoonbills in it, all the fog shots actually, fog is an old favorite. Any time I see fog I'm out the door early with spare clothes and shoes. I know at least my feet are getting wet...

Comment

Yes, the Herons in Fog is really nice. FWIW I think you did a great job with the "Curious Squirrel" Curious Squirrel Photograph by Billy Griffis Jr - Curious Squirrel Fine Art Prints and Posters for Sale

Hey, since we like fog, I hope you don't mind if I add a shot from a recent visit to Devon, in England

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhealBetsy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	831451
                  Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I've dabbled at times with macrophotography. I really like what you have on the site. Especially the green dragonfly. Difficult shots to get.
                    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Difficult indeed.
                      There's a whole new World under our very eyes, just we don't see it easily.
                      Thanks to those who give us a glimpse of it
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

My compliments to you on your nature photography skills. The kind of work you've done requires a great amount of skill and patience to capture the subject and precisely the right moment.

I have dabbled in macro photography, and I find it very frustrating due to the narrow depth of field. One new technique that I've found particularly interesting is the use of computer software to stack/combine a series of photos taken at different focal planes, to combine them into an extreme depth of field macro photograph.

I also have a great respect for those photographers that do birding. The combination of requirements for ridiculously expensive extreme telephoto lenses, the ability to cart a lot of heavy gear out onto the site, and the patience that's required to capture the moment are some of the things that make for great photography. I tried birding, but found that I didn't have the patience for it. You've taken quite a few outstanding shots and you've earned my respect.
                        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	19284_0_cardinal-feeding.png
Views:	1
Size:	772.5 KB
ID:	831454
                          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

nickb - Thanks a lot, glad you like my work. No I don't mind you posting the shot, and a cool looking fog shot it is. The squirrel was taken from about 10 feet, much closer than they ever let me get. I kept expecting it to scram, never did and I got some amazing shots at very close range. I actually had to back up a step to get that shot, I was too close for my 200mm lens to focus. ( I use all manual focus lenses)

JoeM - Thanks a bunch. I've only been doing macro for about 4 years, and finally starting to get the hang of it. Takes a lot of practice...The green Dragonflies are usually the ones that let me get closest, which is the key with macro. Most of the others don't let me within 10 feet, most of my macro shots are taken within a foot, many only 4 or 5 inches away. Try getting that close to a lizard sometime...it can be done, but it takes patience and about 23 attempts...I think I know which green dragonfly you're referring to, it was taken with a 135mm lens and 4 extension tubes, a little over a foot away. It's one of a very few that I was able to get good enough sharpness and magnification to see the rows of eyes. To be honest I didn't think I could hold the camera steady enough hand held to get anything at all...I was surprised when a couple came out that good.

bob p - Thanks a lot, that's a GREAT cardinal shot, I love it. I haven't tried stacking, most of my shots are hand held, so there's no way I can get 15 shots positioned exactly the same for stacking. I've seen some great examples, it works really well, but I don't set up for shots like that. A tripod is required, then you refrigerate the insect so it goes dormant (not harmful, they walk or fly away after they warm up) and take a number of shots focused from front to back. All of my shots are done in the wild, live insects going about their business, I'm lucky to get 2 shots at any one time. Depth of field is minimal, and that's irritating sometimes, but I usually try to use the smallest aperture I can get by with for more depth of field, and often a flash so I can shoot at f11 or f16 and take whatever they give me...

Again thanks a lot for all the compliments, I just hope some of you are passing it along...

Comment

Thanks for sharing your work. My dad was a photographer, but I didn't inherit any of his ability.

Comment

Working...
                              X