Peavey DTH 218 sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey DTH 218 sub

Interesting question about the wiring and how it may affect the amplifier. These speakers have split connections to the NL4 input. 1+/1+ goes to the top speaker and 2+/2- goes to the bottom inverted speaker. Why was it designed like this?? The subwoofers I know use 1+/1- as the input with speakers paralleled, but have speakers facing same direction. Is it possible their designed like that cause the opposing coil movements affect the amp if the speakers were paralleled?? For example, top speaker comes out and bottom inverted speaker goes inwards to acoustically stay in phase.

I think it's to allow you more flexibility in driving it. Each speaker is 8 ohms, so you can connect them in parallel for 4, or series for 16, or drive them independently from the two channels of a stereo amp. (One bass bin could serve two tops in this mode, maybe even with a single amp and passive crossover if you wanted to be a Scrooge.)

Peavey mounted one of the speakers backwards to cancel some distortion. They will also have flipped the connections, so from an electrical point of view it's no different to the usual setup.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I did some research and realized the JBL SRX subs I have used have a switch to parallel the 18's or separated them. JBL says it's to make them discrete connections so each speaker is directly connected to the amp. Would make sense PV intended this only cause it has no switch. The dth's been checking out have been "rigged" for both speakers to work on 1+/1- speakon.

The phasing on the PV's are correct, but they keep complaining about the power of the subs. Well, how can a Crown XLS 5000 amp for subs get any power out when they have 2 Crown XTI's 2000 (bridged) for main front arrays and 2 powered side arrays all plugged into a 20A outlet. U want power out, u need to supply power in.

Comment

The Crown XLS 5000 requires a 1.25Vac input signal to drive the amp to full power.
        Crossover point is an issue also.

All of that equipment on one breaker is simply stupid.
        I am truly suprised that they are not popping a breaker.

Comment

I know guys that remove the breakers in power strips cause they have that problem. Had a customer that his Crown MT2400 amps had messed up plugs. Heh!! Surprised to that they have'nt popped a breaker, but it is holding system back. The church is finally getting a electrician to put good 20A outlets in.

The DTH subs were crossed over at 80HZ. Using a driverack PA. I put them at 120HZ to start. Drive for lows was at -3db. With the highs bridged, the increase gain and left the subs far behind.

And yes, I have read a lot of posts on here about bad experience with some church's. I was told about a pastor that went into a music store and wanted the best deal possible. He didn't like the price, so he stated if you don't lower it more, I won't pray for you.

I'm figuring out biggest problem is the guy running the board. Needs more experience. The board is a Avid SC48. I personally love analog boards and this particular board is not 4 an amatuer cause all the settings .

Comment

Working...
          X