Big Muff in Small Spaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Muff in Small Spaces

I've been working on a Big Muff PCB (Version 2 Violet) that fits in a Hammond 1590N1 enclosure (4.77 X 2.6 X 1.39). The pots are on the trace-side, and components face the cover. This has been checked on paper, but I haven't built it yet. I'll let y'all know how it turns out. I've attached the artwork if you care (if you dare)—the enclosure layout, component layout, and a PDF of the PCB at actual size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BM-PCB-enclosure.gif
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	867833
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BM-PCB-layout.gif
Views:	1
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	867834

BM-PCB.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chinrest; 10-15-2013, 06:28 PM. Reason: The copper text on the PCB was backwards. Probably not the only mistake!!

1) Consider those little green 9mm pots with the black plastic shafts as a space saver. The plastic shafts come with a little indicator notch so knobs aren't required, which permits closer spacing. Give 1/8w resistors a shot, too. The circuit can handle them without problem. Same thing goes for little ceramic caps. I mean, cripes, it IS a fuzzbox, after all.

2) A number of companies (e.g., Mooer, Truetone, Catalinbread) have foregone batteries, assuming that the end-user will be powering via a pedalboard power-supply of some sort. This frees up an enormous amount of space, and offers a lot of flexibility in where things can be placed. Not that I'm trying to coerce you to go the 1590A route, but there are plenty of options in layout that become available when a battery compartment is not an issue.

Comment

1. I think it would help if you'd post a schematic to go with your layout diagram. I have no idea what a Violet Version 2 is. The only Big Muff that I've ever looked inside of had discrete transistors.

2. I'll disagree with Mark on the need for a battery compartment. I think that a compact stompbox with a battery is a great idea, and I don't think that having a stompbox without a battery for pedalboard use is that great of a concept. I mean, what's the point of ultra-miniaturization if you're going to put the box onto a pedalboard? Pedalboards have lots of space. To me, ultra-miniaturization is best used to put a stompbox where you can reach it with your hands -- mounting it in the guitar, on a strap, or on a belt clip, where you have better access to the knobs. In that case, it might be better to go with an ultra-small coin-type battery, low-power consumption and SMD parts. Just a thought...
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I thought I was cool chopping the muff form factor in half. You guys are going for Micro-Muff.

Here's the scheme I was referencing from bigmuffpage.com:

http://www.bigmuffpage.com/images/sc...st_version.jpg

Comment

CAUTION: Please take no offense to this- none is intended and the following statement is not meant to be derogatory.

Am I the only one who finds it at least slightly amusing that a post regarding the "Big Muff" was started by "chinrest"?
          My apologies, but you have to admit............
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Get your mind out of the gutter,

Comment

I'd post a reply, but I can't stop laughing long enough...
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Another thread flies off the rails of sexual innuendo.

Comment

Originally posted by chinrest View Post
                  Another thread flies off the rails of sexual innuendo.
                  Again my apologies.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

MUFF! MUFF! MUFF! MUFF! MUFF! MUFF! MUFF! MUFF! MUFF!

There. Let's get it all out in one shot

Oops, now I'm flying off the rails.

Comment

If you want immature, a Quebec restaurant has been offering a burger named the "Phoque Bardot" on their menu. "Phoque" is the French word for seal, which former sex keeten Brigitte Bardot had campaigned against the killing of in the gulf of St. Lawrence. The burger itself is made from seal meat. I think you can sense the sentiments about the debate on the part of the restauranteur.

Do you have ANY idea how much the folks in the news media must have been giggling to themselves to be allowed to keep writing "Phoque Bardot"?

Bob, I'm certainly not arguing the merits of a batteryless pedal over a battery-powered one. Personally, I happen to like batteries in all their pure DC glory, but given how many folks use every single pedal on a board with an external supply, catering to those who don't need the space for a battery is no great risk, and ften provides a convenience. So, not a requirement; just a viable option.

Comment

Dude, you're killin' me.
                        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

*Muffled laughter*
                          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                            1. I mean, what's the point of ultra-miniaturization if you're going to put the box onto a pedalboard? Pedalboards have lots of space.
                            I in fact started this project because I ran out of space on a pedalboard. Removing the stock muff enclosure makes room for two MXR-size boxes (on this particular board layout).

I'm curious to see if lead dress/crosstalk become issues as you get small -- considering that this is a four-transistor, high gain circuit. Although a little messy weirdness might add a unique quality to the fzzzzz.

Comment

The evidence: 'Phoque Bardot' burger lands Quebec restaurant in hot water - Montreal - CBC News

Incidentally, you do NOT want to walk into the kitchen when seal meat is being cooked. Seals (like I imagine a lot of aquatic mammals) have very high hemoglobin levels, so they can hang onto all that oxygen when they dive. It really stinks when you cook it, although I imagine it tastes fine once cooking is done and the stench resides elsewhere.

I have no idea what Brigitte Bardot either smells like or tastes like...or how long she can hold her breath for.

Comment

Working...
                              X