Aluminium baseplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium baseplates

If you were to replace a nickel silver base plate (humbucker), with aluminium, what would the difference be tonally?

I have to make a set of baseplates for an unusual instrument, but sourcing nickel silver seems to be a little difficult, and aluminium is much easier for me to work with on this particular project.
    Regards,
    Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Originally posted by rhoads View Post
    If you were to replace a nickel silver base plate (humbucker), with aluminium, what would the difference be tonally?

I have to make a set of baseplates for an unusual instrument, but sourcing nickel silver seems to be a little difficult, and aluminium is much easier for me to work with on this particular project.
    No soldering to that, so that might be something to get around. Aluminum oxide is also an insulator, and be easy on the spring tension on the pickup mount to keep the threads from stripping out.

Comment

If you use thick forbon you can add soldering eyelets. That (using forbon) will of cause change the inductance quite a bit. I have made 8-string pickups without baseplates (casting them in resin) and I can imagine that the effect of that (no bace plate) would be similar to that of using a forbon baseplate.

Comment

The relative permeability of aluminum is 1, and I believe that nickel silver is pretty close to 1 as well, but I can't find a number for it. It is generally characterized as "non-magnetic". I doubt you'd hear anything significant.
        www.zexcoil.com

Comment

Originally posted by ScottA View Post
          The relative permeability of aluminum is 1, and I believe that nickel silver is pretty close to 1 as well, but I can't find a number for it. It is generally characterized as "non-magnetic". I doubt you'd hear anything significant.

Commented earlier, but somehow it did not take. So, to add to Scott's comment, yes, effects from its magnetic properties are very small, but Al does have a high conductivity, and so the eddy currents would be even larger than with a brass base plate. I would expect the sound to be dulled a bit, and that might or might not be what you want, but it is not something to do without listening carefully to the result.

Comment

Mike I was wondering about that as well but the base plate is pretty far from the action. I bet eddy currents are non detectable. Has anyone ever seen an aluminum pickup cover? It would be interesting to test that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
              Commented earlier, but somehow it did not take. So, to add to Scott's comment, yes, effects from its magnetic properties are very small, but Al does have a high conductivity, and so the eddy currents would be even larger than with a brass base plate. I would expect the sound to be dulled a bit, and that might or might not be what you want, but it is not something to do without listening carefully to the result.
              Yes, it's true, simple electrodynamics. Brass is better, but change sound to, conductivity still so high. Easy way for You buy nickel-silver base plate (3$-9$) or if Your project is not standard, use any no metal material, like ABS or PCB. Another way - Austenitic stainless steel 316, easy to find. This steel have conductivity equal to nickel-silver and without any problem can be cut by Laser CNC (nickel-silver can't be cat).
              Andrey Polyakov
              AP Guitars
              [URL="http://apguitars.com"]http://apguitars.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                I didn't realize the conductivity of N-S was as low as it is, about an order of magnitude lower than Al. I was thinking they were similar and that the permeability would be the primary driver.
                www.zexcoil.com

Comment

Good source about that
                  Bill Lawrence: All About Tone
                  Andrey Polyakov
                  AP Guitars
                  [URL="http://apguitars.com"]http://apguitars.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                  X