Radical Scatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radical Scatter

What is/was your most extreme scatter that you've placed on a coil and what type of effect did it have on tone?

Trying to get some new ideas.

welcome any and all comments no matter how eccentric
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Scatter them until you like them.. It's really up to you. I wouldn't go to crazy on the scatter. Remember the wire does settle and a wild scatter would really be just a waste of wire once they settle. Tension on the wire is really one of the important things to me and a nice pattern to lay it down. I use my scatter technic usually in the first few thousand winds. I will then do a nice pattern with a good tension on the wire through out the process.
    www.wbpickups.com

Comment

Just keep in mind that the more you scatter, the more critical potting becomes. Scatter tends to create a "spongier" coil with more opportunities for turns to move around. Doesn't mean you have to studiously avoid scatter, but you don't get something for nothing. If you try to take advantage of scatter for sonic purposes you will need to keep a watchful eye on the bad stuff that comes along for the ride. Namely, microphonics.

Comment

What about criss crossing patterns?

Swinging the wire across the bobbin within a couple of turns where only a couple/few wraps make up the layer?

anybody doing extreme stuff like that?

just curious....
        Last edited by kevinT; 07-11-2007, 11:37 PM.
        www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Working...
        X