Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 humbuckers, 2 volume, 2 tone and a three way lever switch

hello,

I have been trying to wire in a three way lever switch, I have wired the pickups into the volume pots like in this schematic http://www.axesrus.com/images/gibwiring.jpg

I have then wired in the switch using this method https://www.google.com/search?q=les+...ml%3B650%3B550

The problems I am having are:

1. when the switch is in the center there is no sound

2. when the switch is in the bridge position the tone pot is not working properly

I have been unable to find a wiring diagram that uses two humbuckers 4 pots and a lever switch, is this because it is not possible to wire it?

cheers

It's possible
    You pobably miswired something
    Send a photo, maybe we can detect what's wrong

Comment

Originally posted by frus View Post
      It's possible
      You pobably miswired something
      Send a photo, maybe we can detect what's wrong
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0105.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	831396

cheers

Comment

I can't see clearly, can you make sure that there are connections where I've drawn green lines, and there are NO connections where I've put red crosses

Name:	IMAG0105-2.jpg
Size:	795.8 KB
ID:	831397

Comment

yeah the green are all good, I did have it wired without where you have put the red X's but the middle didnt work. so I just thought I would be creative and try wiring from that terminal to the output, which worked but not very well at all.

Comment

hmmmmmmmm... don't know then

btw, why did you ground the red and white wires as well? That way you'll get only one humbucker coil. Is that what you wanted...?
            what pickups are those anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by frus View Post
              I can't see clearly, can you make sure that there are connections where I've drawn green lines, and there are NO connections where I've put red crosses

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25793[/ATTACH]
              The green lines on the tone pot?
              Looks like your grounding one end of the tone pot.
              It should be left ungrounded.
              On a 3 way switch you use both sides.
              solder the bridge and middle terminals together on one side, and solder the neck and middle together on the other side.
              Then if you have the two pole sides tied together it should work.
              Wire the switch like in this stewmac instructions, except the hot output comes to the switch comes from the jack not the volume pot.
              STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for CRL 3-way Lever Switch
              Good Luck,
              T
              Last edited by big_teee; 10-17-2013, 02:53 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Forster View Post
                yeah the green are all good, I did have it wired without where you have put the red X's but the middle didnt work. so I just thought I would be creative and try wiring from that terminal to the output, which worked but not very well at all.
                One technique I use when debugging is to isolate each component and ensure I know how it works so that I can eliminate that component as a possible problem when I hook it up. Put your meter (continuity setting, or Ohms) on the 3-way switch and verify that you get signal from the inputs to the output properly; that is, verify the signal flow through the switch matches your expectation. Once you know that the switch works as desired, move on to the next component. If this involves actually unsoldering the connections between components, then so be it. You can start from one end of the signal chain and work toward the other end.

Also, as Frus pointed out, you have only one coil from each pup active. Verify with datasheet from the manufacturer's website (there is no standard color code!) how you should wire it up. Generally for a HB, the two 'inner' wires will be connected to each other and *nothing* else.

Keep experimenting, it will fall into place!
                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

right so I need to solder the red and white wires from the pickup together and nowhere else.

then I need to connected the middle terminals of the switch together? like this...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 9.00.57 AM.png
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	831411

and finally undground one end of the tone pots?

Comment

okay tried this, neck and bridge position work but the middle still has no output. Should I be wiring the pickups into the switch instead of going into the volume pots? I don't understand why the middle isn't working?

Comment

I tried doing this and the neck and bridge position work but still the middle isn't? do I need to try wiring the pickups into the switch and then into the volume pots? at the moment the pickups are wired into the volume pots then from there into the switch and from the switch into the out put.

Comment

Originally posted by Forster View Post
                        I tried doing this and the neck and bridge position work but still the middle isn't? do I need to try wiring the pickups into the switch and then into the volume pots? at the moment the pickups are wired into the volume pots then from there into the switch and from the switch into the out put.
                        can you show us one more macro close up of just the switch?
                        It sounds like you don't have the jumper straps in the right places.
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

okay so the yellow wire is for the bridge the white is for the Neck Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0189.JPG
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	831414

Name:	DSC_0190.JPG
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	831415
                          the white going in above the yellow goes to the output jack

Comment

Looks like the switch is not wired correctly.
                            one pickup needs to be wired to one wiper on one side and the other pickup to the other wiper on the other side.
                            I sent a PM.
                            Terry

Comment

hey mate,

I think Iv done it I realised I was looking at the schematic wrong is this right now?

it seems to be working

Name:	DSC_0194.JPG
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	831417

Name:	DSC_0193.JPG
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	831416

Comment