Wire insulator thickness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire insulator thickness?

If I'm using 42g wire, which insulator is the thinnest? Plain enamel or formvar or.....?

If PE and Formvar are both Single they could both be the same.
    Here is a good site that shows different wires and thickness.
    Single, double, and triple ply.
    Copper Wire Manufacturer, Specialty Wire Manufacturer
    Look under round magnet wire.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Hmmm? That is not what I thought would be true? I was hoping to find a thinner coating to get a bit more winds on a specific bobbin. But keep the wire the same relatively.

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
        Hmmm? That is not what I thought would be true? I was hoping to find a thinner coating to get a bit more winds on a specific bobbin. But keep the wire the same relatively.
        Different spools of wire can vary greatly in diameter and still be the same 42 Gauge.
        I have 3 different Spools of 42 SPN that vary .0025- .00275".
        What size are you looking for?
        PE can vary greatly also.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Go with thinner gauge wire.

Also, why PE or formvar? When most people say formvar, they mean heavy build formvar. But there is single build also. But there's no advantage using that over SPN, and it costs more.

I'd go with SPN, it's more consistent than PE.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I completely agree with David and Terry.

I consider insulator build thickness, along with gauge, to be a very critical factor for tonal output. Of course, you have the other variables to consider like: TPL, tension, bobbin geometry, magnet type & strength...and the list goes on and on.

My suggestion for 888Guitars would be a single build 42 SPN looking for the smallest OD I could spec and wind to a high TPL. A high TPL allows you to get more turns in a given bobbin space. Then see if you got the sound you were after. If not, try changing another variable and test the results.

Jim
            =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Right, and don't scatter if you want to fit more wire on the bobbin. Wind nice and tight and neat. If hand winding, don't wind too fast.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Do you have a favorite supplier for the 42spn? I would like to wind a couple of bobbins , but not sure I need a 5lb spool? Know where I can get smaller spool?

Comment

Do you have a favorite supplier for the 42spn? I would like to wind a couple of bobbins , but not sure I need a 5lb spool? Know where I can get smaller spool?
                  You can buy wire from different suppliers, and off of ebay.
                  I usually buy from Remington they have large and small spools.
                  Remington Industries
                  Terry

Comment

If you are just starting out and looking for a small quantity just look around the web or eBay.

Watch out for bad re-spools. If the spool looks like it has tangled or broken wire…you might want to move on. The wire should be evenly wound on the spool with no cracks, chips, or breaks to the spool flanges. I've purchased at least one spool with a cracked flange (the price was worth taking a chance on) and just de-reeled from the good side. I’ve had good luck buying off eBay…just search for 42 SPN, 42 magnet wire, of 42awg SPN and see what pops up.

Know your prices and you should be able to locate a good deal.
                    =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      You can buy wire from different suppliers, and off of ebay.
                      I usually buy from Remington they have large and small spools.
                      Remington Industries
                      BAE on eBay is cheaper than Remington:

Electrical Test Equipment, Business Industrial items in BAE MAGNET WIRE store on eBay!

$32.00 for 1.52Lbs of 42 SPN from BAE, and $28.93 for a pound at Remington.

a pound of wire from BAE would be $21.

Comment

Working...
                      X