PIV for bridge diodes, split supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIV for bridge diodes, split supply

For a split supply with centre tapped bridge with discrete diodes, is PIV for each diode equal to Vpk, same as regular bridge?
    Or is it 2Vpk, as in center tapped full wave (2 diode)?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

In either case the diodes must withstand the peak voltage of the entire winding.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks LT, now to further confound things :
      As you mentioned, each diode in a discrete bridge must have a PIV of the entire windings peak voltage.
      When dealing with a bridge package, is the rated PIV from end to end or for each internal diode?
      Sorry for the silly questions, just running into a complete mental block on the issue.
      Maybe some examples would help:
      center-tapped transformer with bridge rectifier for split supply, 100V across entire winding end to end.
      What PIV is needed for each diode to build a discrete bridge?
      What PIV is needed for a bridge package?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

A good rule of thumb is to take the peak to peak AC secondary voltage and double it. In your example, 200 PIV ( or 484 PIV if you're quoting RMS).

Bridges are rated same as diodes, per internal diode, not as a whole.

--mark

Comment

Bridges are just diodes, happens to be four of them in one package.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X