Ampeg TM-1 Optoisolator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg TM-1 Optoisolator

I'm rejuvenating a 1967 Ampeg GS-12R Reverborocket II. (Sorry but I can't seem to get the schematic to upload). Replaced the electrolytics and coupling caps, she plays clean--but no tremolo. This is the earlier version with the simpler tremolo (compared to the early 1970's version) basically using 1/2 of a 12AX7 and 3 caps as a LFO. I replaced the 3 caps in the oscillator, as well as the cathode resistor bypass cap, and checked all resistors in the tremolo circuit. Everything within spec....but no tremolo.

Checked plate and cathode voltage around that 1/2 of the 12AX7, looked good. Put scope on signal going to neon lamp, got a "trigger" signal at the lamp leads on the TM-1 optoisolator. But nothing on the LDR. Desoldered the LDR from the intensity pot, got continuity (if can you call 12 Mohm continuity?).

Okay, so I've got a trigger signal to the bug, but no response from the LDR. I guess that means the optoisolator is dead. Ouch, $35 from Fliptops, Well, nothing to lose, since it sure looks dead, might as well do an autopsy. (Hey maybe the LDR is still good and I can just put in a new neon?) So I carefully start cutting into the TM-1. Turns out the lower half is brittle black plastic and breaks apart nicely by crushing it slightly with vice-grips. There's the top leads, going through a black plastic piece, and the LDR and neon potted in some clear soft stuff. With a Dremel I cut through enough of the top black plastic to pull the neon, the leads look fine. Ok, lets check the LDR. Lo and behold, it shows low resistance in room lighting, and goes high when I obscure it. The LDR must be OK. So just for giggles, I hopk the neon up to the same trigger signal I had before...and the neon works.

Huh? The LDR seems to work, the neon works. I reassemble the thing (sorta) and slap some black liquid electrical tape on it, and run test leads to everything that it was hooked up to before. And...now I've got tremolo. Nothing else has changed other than partially disassembling it.

I've only got one conjecture at this point. Maybe the clear potting stuff (soft and pliable like clear RTV) had carbonized a little between the two neon leads at the bulb, shunting the trigger signal off the bulb. I'm going to let the liquid tape cure overnight and reassemble it into the amp properly in the morning to see if it continues to function.

So...the point of my long rambling...if someone has a non-functioning TM-1 or its successor, it may be worthwhile trying to disassemble it, maybe it will work if the clear gunk is cleaned off the neon leads like I did. Or if you can salvage the LDR you could fix it for the cost of a neon bulb-- maybe Rat Shack carries them (is it a NE-2?)

edited: Still working this morning when I soldered it back into service. Oh, and it's half of a 12AX7 that drives the LFO not 1/3 of the 6U10 like I wrote originally...too many hours hunched over the soldering iron.
    Last edited by nashvillebill; 10-29-2013, 05:05 PM. Reason: corrected and updated

Its good that it worked out for you.theres a lot to be learned from trying something outside the box just for the hell of it.I assume this was your own amp,I wouldnt be too comfortable returning an amp to a customer with a part I repaired by "crushing it a little with vise grips",lol.I have a couple in my box of junk parts I replaced with the Fliptops part from a couple of gemini's I fixed over the last year,think I'll break out the vise grips,dont think I've ever used vise grips to fix an amp.

Comment

Hey- Hope youre still there nashvillebill! I am a former nashville resident! (rather than one of the new ones haha)

so I followed your advice and tried taking apart the module. Did you clean the leads? I couldnt free the top black plastic from the leads (i felt it was pretty risky) do you think thats where the problem is happening? I couldnt get a good reading on the resistance of the LDR- it seems like it just stays at 700k sometimes it would measure 1.2M or so... I dont know. I'm gonna copy and paste my other notes as to how the tremolo is reacting in my particular amp. I would appreciate it very much if you could offer any input! I can solder but i'm not great at electronics theory at all.

So i've taken apart the tremolo module and found that it lights up.

I've also realized that the tremolo works on this amp. However I can only hear it when the intensity knob turned far clockwise. It is very faint at this setting and turning the intensity pot right also lowers the volume of the amp quite a bit. But when i do this I can hear the tremolo (it lowers the volume so much that I have to turn the volume up on the amp). as i turn the intensity knob left the amp gets louder and the tremolo effect fades away until it is not there at all (not that there was much there to begin with)

Also the speed changes but it does not change much- it goes from fast to very fast. There is also a loud tick in time with the bulb flashing as I turn the volume of the amp up to compensate for the the effect of turning the intensity knob to the right.

I've replaced the capacitors in that part of the circuit. Anyone have any idea what else this could be? I assumed it was the module because I emailed the guy at flip top amps these notes and he said "yeh its definitely the module" (but that was back when he was selling them)

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X