Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online sources for figured maple cab material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online sources for figured maple cab material?

Ebay has some but it takes a long time to sift through it all. Any suggestions? The local wood shops are unreasonably expensive.

Would be shipping to continental U/S
    ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Originally posted by mort View Post
    Ebay has some but it takes a long time to sift through it all. Any suggestions? The local wood shops are unreasonably expensive.

Would be shipping to continental U/S
    I'm lucky to have good availability where I live, but something that might be worth a try for you would be to contact a hardwood supplier that will ship to you. I used to buy plastic laminate often and have it shipped by common carrier from a hardwood supplier in San Diego. I don't know why they couldn't ship lumber as well. The only supplier that sells online I've spoken to personally were the people at Tropical Exotic Hardwoods of Latin America, LLC - Cocobolo & Bocote Specialty Shop
    Tropical exotic hardwoods in Carlsbad CA. They're pretty expensive, but have an amazing selection.
    What part of the country are you in? Continental USA is pretty vague.

Comment

Florida.
      ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

I was budgeting about $100 for boards 9" wide by 3/4" thick, totaling 110" in length [and can be multiple pieces]. This is for a head shell with matching 3/4 front and rear panels. I don't even really want super highly figured maple. Just a medium to light figuring would be preferable. Sound realistic or should I change my expectations?
        ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
          I was budgeting about $100 for boards 9" wide by 3/4" thick, totaling 110" in length [and can be multiple pieces]. This is for a head shell with matching 3/4 front and rear panels. I don't even really want super highly figured maple. Just a medium to light figuring would be preferable. Sound realistic or should I change my expectations?
          https://www.google.com/search?q=onli...m=122&ie=UTF-8

What you described equals a bit over five board/foot. At my local supplier, figured maple goes for ~$8.00 b/f. I would think you could find something in you budget.

Comment

dang, what supplier is that? Everything I'm finding is either random pieces or ridiculously expensive.
            ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Peterman Lumber Inc. Wholesale & Retail Lumber Supplier in Fontana, San Diego & Las Vegas

Comment

Try Woodworking Tools Supplies Hardware Plans Finishing - Rockler.com I think that the 9" width they may not carry.

Comment

I'm a little bit north of Atlanta and I can buy this figured soft maple for 1.86$ a board foot. It's hit or miss but I can usually dig through through the pile at the lumberyard and find you some. I have a stockpile of nice pieces. It's not planed to thickness, typically its .875" or so. PM me, maybe we can work out a trade or something. Shipping will be the biggest cost but I can cut it down for shipping, thickness plane it if you want. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	831605

Comment

Working...
                  X