VHT Special 6 Ultra Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT Special 6 Ultra Mods

Maybe it's just that I don't like small watt tube amps, but this thing sounds too boxy, even into a good cabinet. I've tried a 6L6, and an EL34, I haven't tried a 6V6 (bought used, didn't come with one). Plug into my Sovtek MIG50, and it's that full tone I expect to hear. The Ultra seems like it just pushed the gain on the pre stages too much. I may try some lower gain tubes, but as I said, maybe it's just a question of power amp headroom as well. Anyone have any ideas?

It could be you are just used to the thicker sound of a PP amp. I had similar problems warming up to my old champ. Single power tube has a bit different vibe to it, even clean. Don't get me wrong...the champ is excellent; just not my taste. I ended up modding the hell out of it...put it back to stock and sold it for a 6V6 PP amp.

Comment

Originally posted by ron vogel View Post
      It could be you are just used to the thicker sound of a PP amp. I had similar problems warming up to my old champ. Single power tube has a bit different vibe to it, even clean. Don't get me wrong...the champ is excellent; just not my taste. I ended up modding the hell out of it...put it back to stock and sold it for a 6V6 PP amp.
      This is likely what I'll so. I miss my old Vox Night Train. Looks like it's time to go back to the 15 watt lunchbox monster.

Comment

Working...
      X