EON jbl g2 15 - Hiss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EON jbl g2 15 - Hiss

A friend asked me to look at a pair of speakers, jbl g2 15. Turns out they have a quite noise going, a hiss coming from the high (treble) speakers. Anyone here familiar with these. Is it worth trying to fix?
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Well, seeing that they are 500 bucks new, I would say 'yeah'.

The first thing to check is if it is a preamp or a power amp issue.

The Hi Freq output ic is a LM3886.

The schematics can be found here: EON-G2 Series

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      Well, seeing that they are 500 bucks new, I would say 'yeah'.

The first thing to check is if it is a preamp or a power amp issue.

The Hi Freq output ic is a LM3886.

The schematics can be found here: EON-G2 Series
      Right on, thanks for the link!

Pre och power section? The noise is quite evident with speaker volume at 0. When I looked at it I just assumed that it is the power section.

Comment

Assuming the cause of a problem, rather than verifying it, is a good way to wake up Murphy & the Gremlin.

Comment

I'm hoping you are talking about a lot of hiss. Normally if I don't hear some hiss from a tweeter I suspect it may not be working.
          This fault is occurring in both units? Seems a bit odd they would both have the same fault at the same time.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

They were bought cheaply way past any warranty. I just figured I help out if I could. It would just be nice to hear if someone here actually knew anything about these speakers or frequent causes for a lot of NOISE in them.

Comment

Check that all the controls are working properly. The only EON's that I've worked on had almost all bad pots. A volume or treble pot stuck on full would put a lot of hiss through the tweeters.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                Check that all the controls are working properly. The only EON's that I've worked on had almost all bad pots. A volume or treble pot stuck on full would put a lot of hiss through the tweeters.
                Sounds like a plan. I don't really fancy gutting these speakers.

Comment

Working...
                X