Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rectifier choice in Princeton Reverb style amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectifier choice in Princeton Reverb style amp.

I have an amp I built in 2011 to the AA1164 circuit, with the exception of a Deluxe Reverb output transformer and a 40uF capacitor at the first filter stage. The JJ GZ34 rectifier I put in there when I built it has recently started making a mechanical rattle/ringing sound constantly, and there is a small amount of the same noise through the speaker (presumably because the vibration is modulating the B+ somehow). So I'm looking for a new rectifier, and I keep reading that NOS rectifiers typically have better reliability than the current JJ or Sovtek production. I have a 2A rectifier winding on my PT, so that limits my choice somewhat.
    NOS GZ34s are not an option for me due to their price, but one of the UK valve suppliers has tested NOS 5V4GA at a decent price, either GE or Raytheon (or RCA for a little more). I gather that a 5V4 usually works well in a Princeton Reverb, but I'm not sure about my 40uF first filter cap. The RCA datasheet 5V4 suggests 10uF as a "typical" value but does not list a maximum capacitance. Does anyone anticipate that a 40uF filter cap could be a problem with a 5v4? I could always go with another JJ GZ34, but it would be nice to find something longer lasting.

If you can source the Ruby 5AR4 rectifier, I've found them to work very well (although made in China, Ruby keeps a tight QC on these, besides they apparently are custom-built for Ruby.) Stan km6sz on this website reckons these to be the best currently available GZ34/5AR4 and I believe Stan knows what he's talking about.

IIRC Matchless used 5V4 and filtered with well beyond 10 uF. If you can source them cheap enough, the worst that could happen is a shortened lifetime for the rectifier, and a dab less power for the amp.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Ruby don't seem to be widely available in the UK unfortunately, otherwise I'd look into that. For the moment I've just installed a fresh JJ GZ34, as I need to use the amp in a couple of days and decided it wasn't a good time to start changing anything.
      I tried modelling the power supply in Duncan's PSUD II program, and (assuming I'm using it correctly) it looks like the 5v4 would be fine in this amp with the 40uF filter, as the peak current across the rectifier at switch-on doesn't exceed the datasheet maximum. I may still try this option in future, but not until my current GZ34 goes. With luck, that may be a while.

Comment

Working...
      X