Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland FD-8 Hi-Hat Control Pedal

Hello!

I'm trying to fix my Roland FD-8 Hi-Hat Control Pedal (FD-8 :: Products :: Roland). It simply doesn't respond. I need some help to identify what is the trigger componet so I can replace it. Is it a hall effect sensor?

The manual says that "it provides open, closed, and half-open sounds and continuous control from full open to closed positions for richly expressive hi-hat work". In this way it can't be just a on/off sensor. Does it work as a potentiometer? If so, what is the impedance? Where can I by it?

Pictures attached.
    Thank you!
    Attached Files

Most drum heads utilize a piezo sensor.
    In the case of the HiHat controller, it appears that Roland utilizes a film variable resistor and a rubber finger.
    Something such as this would have to be purhased directly from Roland.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Roland has replaced odd TD parts for me at very reasonable prices..... so I'd ask and see what happens before trying to figure it out the hard way.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Here is a pic of the sensor from an FD-7. The FD-8 is similar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FD-7-HiHat_ResistiveFilm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	831761

Comment

Bruce, unfortunately here in Brazil Roland prices are prohibitives! Not to mention the delay...
            Jazz P Bass, do you know where can I buy one of these?

Comment

Hi. I'm an authorised Roland service center.
              There is an upgrade kit for this pedal. Contact your local Roland guys for it.

Comment

It may be wise to prove that the sensor itself is at fault.

Here is a well written blog on the FD-7/8, explaining how the sensor operates & most importantly, what resistance measurements to expect.

Link: Fun with Resistive Position Sensors ? Dr. Joan Bushwell's Chimpanzee Refuge

Comment

Working...
                X