SVT Plate resistor value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT Plate resistor value

Got a mid 70's SVT in with 6550 power tubes. Question is, what is the correct value for the plate resistors in these amps? This one had 5 ohm 5 watt, but all the schematics I've found show 10 ohm 5 watt. Being that they are that close in value, will it make a difference either way?

Is this one of the black panel MTI versions? I think that there is a version with 5 ohm resistors, but there are additional changes to the circuit as well.

I have see these repaired with mixed values of resistors and they do work. Personally I go for whatever was originally there and as stock as possible. Maybe you can find the correct schematic or at least one that comes closer.

Comment

This is one from the Magnavox days. All the schematics I've found are showing the 10 ohm and the quality of the schematics are pretty bad. I was surprised to find only two resistors that had been replaced in the past. The other 4 were all original. Of course the 2 newer ones were the ones that are fried. Just wondered to myself if someone replaced them and never changed the tubes

Comment

i hope one of these will help you
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice, thank you! Looks like this may be a V9. Of course it would be the hardest to read. I've attached a pic of the resistors.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	831786

Comment

The V9 is just a regular SVT with a different preamp.

Plate resistors fail when the tube fails. If some of your resistors are original it just means a tube never when bad in those sockets.

They are still using 10 ohms even in today's SVT Classic, they just moved them to the cathode side.

5 or 10 ohms is not going to affect the sound either, but in my opinion, the 10 ohms offers a little more protection and helps the tubes share a tiny bit better.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That V9 drawing is for V9 and SVT. So your amp would be the SVT of that particular revision. If memory serves, V9 was the guitar version (ouch).
              Last edited by g1; 11-21-2013, 12:40 AM.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
              X