Guild Thunderbass 50Watt power supply issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guild Thunderbass 50Watt power supply issues

My first posting, eh? Well... I have done some mods to my Guild T-Bass and a new (maybe old) issue
    has come up. I have found that there are several current limiting resistors immediately after the
    HV secondary on the power transformer (old- two 10ohm/10Watt in series; new- three
    91ohm/10Watt in parallel) but before the full-wave diode doubling. There seems to be an excessive(?)
    amount of heat from these resistors. So much that there is a small burn mark on my enclosure and
    some wire scorching (but no major damage). Now, this may have been an issue prior to my
    hot-rodding (and since I have it in a new enclosure, the old one is long gone).
    I had to wire up the 91ohms as one of the original 10ohms had a lead snap at its body.
    30 is close to 20, eh? I figure.
    I'd like to remove these 91ohms and pull a Fender/Marshall/Garnet trick, placing two large PIV
    diodes in series to replace the single ones as designed by Guild.

Has anyone else encountered this? I like this amp (I've owned it for almost 20 years!) and,
    short of transformer replacement, would like to start with a simple rectifier mod.
    See Ya
    Last edited by rudy kenyon; 11-22-2013, 09:22 PM.
Working...
X