Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange tiny Terror fx loop mod ?

Hi All

anybody know if i can fit an FX loop on a Tiny Terror without fiting a extra tube. The Dark Terror has the loop and an tube to drive it.
    Just hoping to find someone who has tried it and know yes or no

many thanks

BBB

Your best option would probably be to build a small transistor circuit to stuff in there somewhere. Being an ideally non clipping circuit, and seeing as most effects are solid state anyway "I" don't see an advantage to using a tube. I do it for aesthetic reasons on eyelet board designs, but for an added loop to a PCB amp I wouldn't hesitate to use silicooties.

But another thing to consider is that the TT is pretty much a whole amp distortion system. That means that no matter where you place the loop the effects will be mashed and obliterated by clipping stages. I think a better idea would be to add a line out to the TT and use it to drive effects into another clean amp or the PA system.

JM2C
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yes there is an effects loop mod, without adding another tube, or transistors.
      The power transformer does not have enough current to run another tube, anyhow.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	orange effects loop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	831912
      I installed the power tranny in this amp, after it was modded.
      The mod was done by Jule Amps of Santa Cruz, California.
      Maybe if you get in touch with them, they will send you the diagram....(?)
      http://www.juleamps.com/how_buy/contact.html
      Or get in touch with the owner of the amp:
      Modded Orange Tiny Terror w/Orange 1x12" Cab
      Maybe I should have made a schematic when I was working on it (?)....
      Oh well, you know it's do-able anyway...

I was really impressed by the sound of this amp. Super Crunchy! Amazingly loud also.
      ( I gotta get me one a them)
      Last edited by soundguruman; 12-08-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
        I was really impressed by the sound of this amp. Super Crunchy! Amazingly loud also.
        ( I gotta get me one a them)
        Ditto. Probably one of the coolest designs to come along. In a class by itself and a production amp to boot!

There are some pseudo schematics around for this amp but I don't know that I can trust any of them. But a simple break in the signal path would need to be in a place where the signal wouldn't be much higher than a volt and fairly low in impedance. If there's a spot like that in the circuit, that's where that loop was put. IMHE loops like that work with fine with most effects, but not all.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I saw a mini vox night train over at lightning Joe's.
          It looked like the exact same chassis and transformers, but it had more tone controls.
          I haven't played that one yet, but I suspect it may be from the same factory...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            Ditto. Probably one of the coolest designs to come along. In a class by itself and a production amp to boot!

There are some pseudo schematics around for this amp but I don't know that I can trust any of them. But a simple break in the signal path would need to be in a place where the signal wouldn't be much higher than a volt and fairly low in impedance. If there's a spot like that in the circuit, that's where that loop was put. IMHE loops like that work with fine with most effects, but not all.
            That's the point.
            As soon as signal passes through the input jack, it's amplified 50X, putting it *absolutely* out of range for any pedal.
            And after that, itīs all gain stages.
            It *might* make sense in a design which distorts the preamp and has a Master volume at the end but here, where distortion comes from saturating power tubes and the PI (we are talking some 100V RMS here) it's nonsense, distortion will always be *post* effects.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well, sometimes a signal is padded by EQ or to necessitate a desired effect from a following stage. It's hard to say without knowing. But I agree that It's very unlikely there is a good place for a simple signal break to be used as an effects loop in that amp. Which means it would need to be done in the 'least bad' place. The fact that the loop is there in the photo and no additional amplifiers were used suggests that's what was done. How 'least bad' it is I can't say.

Comment

Many thanks. I will look into this. and email to see if i can get the schematic. He don't want to pay much, so i think he's going to get it back, sell it and get a Dark terror

BBB

Comment

Working...
                X