Peavey TNT 150 Hum Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey TNT 150 Hum Problem

Hey all. I found a few threads regarding this issue but none helped. I have a Peavey TNT 150 with a hum problem. Its a low volume background hum. Ground switch does not help. I disconnected the 15 volt wire (with red, green, white & bare lead) from the amp board to the preamp board and the hum goes away. I do have the +15v & -15v rails from the amp board to the preamp board. No AV volts on the speaker terminals. Turn Post to zero and it still hums. No pots, EQ or chorus affect the hum at all. PCB mounts read zero ohms to ground so there is no oxidation or anything like that. Has anyone ever had this problem? Any help/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest that you go back & measure the + & - 15 volt rails for any Vac ripple.

Ideally there should be none.

You should also measure the main power rails the same way, although there will be a small amount of Vac ripple.

A large Vac reading is a good indication of bad filter caps.
    Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 12-10-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Can I measure Vac ripple with a DVM? No scope at this time.

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      I would suggest that you go back & measure the + $ - 15 volt rails for any Vac ripple.

Ideally there should be none.

You should also measure the main power rails the same way, although there will be a small amount of Vac ripple.

A large Vac reading is a good indication of bad filter caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Penn View Post
        Can I measure Vac ripple with a DVM? No scope at this time.
        Absolutely.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Depends on your meter, try it and see. If your AC volts scale reads some small voltage, it works. If your meter on AC reads more than the DC voltage, your meter cannot be used for this. Usually it is inexpensive meters that can;t do it.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Depends on your meter, try it and see. If your AC volts scale reads some small voltage, it works. If your meter on AC reads more than the DC voltage, your meter cannot be used for this. Usually it is inexpensive meters that can;t do it.
            I have a Fluke 117 with an AC millivolt setting. Black lead to chassis ground red lead to + or - rail, correct? I don't have much solid state amp experience. More tube amp experience. I will try this tomorrow.

Comment

Tube or solid state doesn;t matter, a power supply is a power supply, and ripple is ripple.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Tube or solid state doesn;t matter, a power supply is a power supply, and ripple is ripple.
                Ok, thank you. I will check it out tomorrow. Thank you very much for your reply. You've helped me in the past and do appreciate it!!

Comment

I tested for ripple using my Fluke 117 set to AC volts and also tried millivolts and both read zero volts. Still have this low volume background hum. Checked the 15v and main power rails. Anything else I should look at? Maybe just change the main filter caps anyway?

Comment

Try tightening the screws attaching the preamp pcb to the chassis. Also, those attachment points are typically riveted to the chassis, and may become loose over time. I had one unit where I had to run a wire from the preamp ground to the chassis to keep it from humming because of loose rivets.

Comment

Originally posted by bkahuna View Post
                      Try tightening the screws attaching the preamp pcb to the chassis. Also, those attachment points are typically riveted to the chassis, and may become loose over time. I had one unit where I had to run a wire from the preamp ground to the chassis to keep it from humming because of loose rivets.
                      Ok, I will check this tomorrow. How loud was the hum that you were experiencing? This is a low volume background hum. I don't think it's normal.

Comment

It wasn't very loud. Just enough to be annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by bkahuna View Post
                          It wasn't very loud. Just enough to be annoying.
                          Also when I disconnect the wires that feed the 15v rails to the preamp board the hum goes away making me think that the issue is on the preamp board. Wouldn't that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Penn View Post
                            Also when I disconnect the wires that feed the 15v rails to the preamp board the hum goes away making me think that the issue is on the preamp board. Wouldn't that make sense?
                            Chicken or the egg? You are disconnecting power. Is it the power or the preamp? If you supply poorly filtered power to a circuit, it's likely to be noisy. If you supply clean power to an audio circuit that has problems it's likely to be noisy, nonworking, etc. It could be either and that's what you need to find out. Before you go to the trouble of pulling and replacing parts, a quick way to narrow it down would be to get yourself a couple of clip leads and clip in an electrolytic of appropriate value from your rails to ground. See if anything changes. If it does you'll know you have bad caps. If not, then you can move on to the preamp.
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                              Chicken or the egg? You are disconnecting power. Is it the power or the preamp? If you supply poorly filtered power to a circuit, it's likely to be noisy. If you supply clean power to an audio circuit that has problems it's likely to be noisy, nonworking, etc. It could be either and that's what you need to find out. Before you go to the trouble of pulling and replacing parts, a quick way to narrow it down would be to get yourself a couple of clip leads and clip in an electrolytic of appropriate value from your rails to ground. See if anything changes. If it does you'll know you have bad caps. If not, then you can move on to the preamp.
                              I will try this and check the pcb grounds. The pcb ground issue with these amps seems to be a common thread. The hum is low in volume but annoying like bkahuna said.

Comment

Working...
                              X