Making my first winder and need a little advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making my first winder and need a little advice

Hi everyone ! I've decided to make a pickup winder, in the past I've used my lathe, which was ok and turned out a few really nice pickups, and a few not so nice

I want to make a small machine that I can tuck away as my space (and money) is limited, I've made drawings of how it will go together and I'm ready to order a few parts. But before I go spending my hard earned cash I'd like your opinion on the electrical bits.

The motor is a 3V-24VDC planetary/gearbox, 80-800rpm, 3KG.CM@600rpm. The seller says it takes around 80ma at 500 rpm (I plan to run it at 18V giving 600rpm)... he says its not continuously rated for 24V so I'm assuming its ok at 18V ? or do I look elsewhere ?

The speed controller is a 6A, 6V-24VDC PWM unit.

For the power supply I was looking at a universal AC adapter (laptop power supply) rated at 4.7A, 90W, and voltage range from 15-24VDC (to use at 18V)

What do you think ?

I intend to have a straight through drive, no pulleys ! and I want to keep the speed down as I want to try some new ideas, 600rpm is about right for me.

Thanks in advance

Planetary gears aren't the noisiest on the planet but they can come pretty close. At least belts are quiet. The power supply seems like way overkill if all you need is 200mA or so. I'd get a 24V, 2A supply and smooth that out with some big caps before running it into a PWM for speed control. You definitely don't need a multi-tap power supply. Again unless you intend to use a much bigger motor later on there's no need to such a big PWM.

Comment

Thanks David, yeah I see your point about overkill but the seller was a bit vague, the amperage he quotes seems a bit low for an 18V motor under load , maybe taken from the manufacturer in China who only give nominal rates. Just wanted to play it safe.
      Never come across using caps before the PWM, I thought it was all catered for ! might have to do some research....uuuughhh

Comment

The caps aren't strictly necessary but since most switching supplies chop the dc up I don't like the idea of chopped DC feeding a PWM which is going to chop it up even more. Maybe I'm being too sensitive.

Comment

Thanks David, I've ditched the universal power supply idea and gone for a 18V 2A supply. Decided to stick with the PWM as its a very good price just hoping the motor isn't too noisy !
          I'm in the UK and were pretty limited when it comes to matching stuff up, I know I could go the China route but last time I ordered a motor for another project it took 4 weeks to get here.

Comment

Working...
          X