Peavey Rockmaster Preamp Static Sizzling Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Rockmaster Preamp Static Sizzling Noise

I recently purchased a used Peavey Rockmaster pre amp. I am having some issues with the high gain input jack. When I use the high gain input jack, I get a static/sizzling sound when I am not playing. I do not get this sound when I use the low gain input jack. Does this sound like it might be tube related? I moved the tubes to different positions and still get a similar sound. Is there anything else I can check, or should I start with new tubes? Thanks!

I don't see how it could be a tube, since both jacks connect to the same place.

If you turn the volume control on the guitar itself to zero, does the noise remain or go?

Make sure the nut on each jack is cinched up snuggly.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      I don't see how it could be a tube, since both jacks connect to the same place.

If you turn the volume control on the guitar itself to zero, does the noise remain or go?

Make sure the nut on each jack is cinched up snuggly.
      When I turn the volume down on the guitar, the sound goes away. I tightened up the nut on each jack and they are snug.

Comment

It's not worth fixing......I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          It's not worth fixing......I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
          Good One!

Comment

This may or may not have anything to do with your situation, but here's my experience with the Rockmaster Preamp.

I've owned several of these since they first came on to the market. It's my favorite pre and I still use one. The ONLY problem I've EVER had with them is the switching jacks in the effects loops. This unit has 5 effects loops compounding the dreaded switching jack problem. My best advice, and this is how I run mine, is to run short jumpers from each effects in to the out for any loop you're not using. This solves most problems with the unit and makes it much more reliable. You can clean all the jack contacts, you can replace the jacks, but the problem always comes back in time. The only "permanent" solution is to use cables so that you're not dependent on jack contacts.

As it relates to your problem, it's not unlikely that you have a or multiple switching jacks that are intermittent and creating noise.

Comment

Maybe.

But I think the clue is that turning down the guitar kills the noise. If the back jacks were noisy, they wouldn't care what the guitar did.

MY working theory is that the guitar is picking up noise from the surrounding electrical environment. Fluorescent lighting, computer monitors and peripherals, hell, my new cordless phone puts out a racket that any amp on my bench now can receive. It only seems to affect the high gain input because the higher gain amplifies the noise more.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Agreed Enzo. That is why I started my post with "This may or may not have anything to do with your situation". My post was meant to be more "informational" since the OP just purchased this device.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  This may or may not have anything to do with your situation, but here's my experience with the Rockmaster Preamp.

I've owned several of these since they first came on to the market. It's my favorite pre and I still use one. The ONLY problem I've EVER had with them is the switching jacks in the effects loops. This unit has 5 effects loops compounding the dreaded switching jack problem. My best advice, and this is how I run mine, is to run short jumpers from each effects in to the out for any loop you're not using. This solves most problems with the unit and makes it much more reliable. You can clean all the jack contacts, you can replace the jacks, but the problem always comes back in time. The only "permanent" solution is to use cables so that you're not dependent on jack contacts.

As it relates to your problem, it's not unlikely that you have a or multiple switching jacks that are intermittent and creating noise.
                  Thanks for the advice, the previous owner warned me about this issue, so I do have short jumpers running through all the effects loops.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Maybe.

But I think the clue is that turning down the guitar kills the noise. If the back jacks were noisy, they wouldn't care what the guitar did.

MY working theory is that the guitar is picking up noise from the surrounding electrical environment. Fluorescent lighting, computer monitors and peripherals, hell, my new cordless phone puts out a racket that any amp on my bench now can receive. It only seems to affect the high gain input because the higher gain amplifies the noise more.
                    I am beginning to believe this is more of the issue too. I moved the guitar more away from the amp and it seems like the sound is less prominent. I also do have fluorescent lighting in the room I practice in. Thanks for the advice! At least I didn't spend $$ on new tubes only to find that wasn't the issue.

Comment

If turning the guitar down turns the noise down, that is a good clue the pickups are the source of the noise.

If you can turn side to side - aim the guitar different directions - and the noise changes, that too is a strong clue your pickups are making the noise.

Got florescents? Turn them off, any change?

Comment

Working...
                      X