Hohner 'tone-blend' module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hohner 'tone-blend' module

In the 80s Hohner fitted an encapsulated module to some guitars, activated by a switch on the tone control. I think the advertisements of the time referred to it as a 'tone blend' control. It was marked VBS-1 EMG. Anyhow, it did a nice job of giving a single-coil sound with a sweetness and harmonic richness that I liked with my setup at the time. The pickups weren't tapped so all the tonality was derived from that module.

I wonder if anyone knows exactly what this module did, or has a schematic? Initially I thought it was a preset Varitone type of configuration, but I think it's a lot more than that. Anyhow, it's unpowered and would make a nice project to try with other guitars.

EDIT: Just remembered it was called the 'Claim Blend' control
    Last edited by Mick Bailey; 12-22-2013, 09:54 AM.

My guess is the pull pot engages a cap that thins out the sound.

Comment

I found a wiring diagram;

http://www.guitarsite.com/hotlicks/about4614.html

Due to the size it would be have to be caps and resistors. I used it for years with the bridge humbucker and I've experimented with passive systems a lot since, but never hit on anything I liked as much as that setup.

Comment

Is it too small to get an inductor in there?

There's an idea on youtube to get a single coil tone from a humbucker.
        To save you sitting through the endless minutes of waffle, it is to remove the pole screws so that there's only the fixed slugs (or half the screws if they're all adjustable) remaining.
        The result sounded great on the video and was humbucking.
        The downsides are that it takes a couple of minutes to do and may loosen the potting and cause microphonic feedback when the poles are re-fitted, so I've not tried it myself yet.
        Pete
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

There is something going on with the HB Pu, the red wire goes into the module.

Here is a pic of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VBS-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	832009

Comment

Hi Mick, some may have the same Problem with their Hohner Custom Professional Guitar. Even if it is a couple years to late for you it may help some one searching around...
            The VSB-1 Claim Blend Control is essential the same as the Claim Blend Sound CBM-1. In Germany it is still possible to buy the Module at Rockinger Guitars. BUT be aware - the schematic they delivering with the unit isnīt really correct or usable.
            I had drawn a correction for Hohner SSH (EMG select PU) guitars. Hope it helps someone!
            Claim CMB-1 Blend Control.pdf
            Last edited by MrRJblues; 10-11-2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the additional information - I didn't realize the HB was tapped. It also turns those single coils into something really sweet and I found them a little bit dead without the control engaged, but it bought them to life and was especially good for clean sounds. I guess the only way to discover the internal circuit would be to get hold of one and carefully remove the potting resin.

Comment

It's been a few years since the original post, but just for completeness I thought I'd close this thread off with a schematic I recently discovered;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring_diagram_HOHNER_033.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	855597

Comment

Interesting, thanks.

I guess it will fully work only with the dedicated tapped EMG humbucker though.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                  X