Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware for blackface fender fix

hi,
    what's the best place to get tubes and parts for my blackface twin reverb?
    I'm in hawaii so that needs to be considered...
    can't drive to pick up parts everythings got to be mailed and with most electronics cant be returned.

aloha

I'd be lookin' at tubesandmore.com = Antique Electronics. They'll have the 500V rated filter caps you'll be needing. Allsorts of other parts. Prices are reasonable. Shipping, well that's something else. I know UPS and Fedex double the charge for Hawaii shipments. If the US post office Priority mail doesn't, that would be a bargain.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

There is no added charge for USPS priority flat rate packages sent from the mainland to Hawaii. I just received a flyer from them (USPS) yesterday which included that specific information.
      Last edited by Tom Phillips; 12-23-2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Excellent, as long as you're ordering just about anything, you should be able to get it shipped FLAT RATE Priority without getting skint. Hooray for the post office! Just make sure you specify shipping method when ordering.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

thanks you guys are fantastic... you have the aloha spirit... the 6L6 macintosh tubes sound great.... I'd like to get a spare set of them to keep this sound...
          haven't checked if the 12ax7 and - what the other tubes brands are yet...
          I'd like to know where I can get a spare silver grill from? I'd like to make look really nice..
          my twin has wheel on it,,, was this how they came? don't care really it sure makes it much easier...
          sprayed the sticker inside the back with clear to preserve the made in fullerton and tube placement sticker.. haven't really researched it yet but wouldn't this be a early 60's model blackface?
          this amp throws my back out when I have to lift it into my truck feels like a ton!
          yesterday I got a 16 chnl mixer, pair of 15" PA speakers, the stands, all the cables and a couple of mic's, a like new bass guitar, a 12" monitor, they are
          all yamaha for $350.00.... what a deal yah? so stoked just had to tell someone...

merry christmas to all and to all a good night* was that corny? but really you guys rock!
          thanks for the help again!!!

mahalo, popoahi

Comment

Hi Popoahi,
            I offer the following comments

Originally posted by popoahi View Post
            ... the 6L6 macintosh tubes sound great. I'd like to get a spare set of them to keep this sound...
            Are they labeled “McIntosh” If so they are re-labeled tubes originally supplied by the McIntosh audio company. They didn’t actually manufacture the tubes and the tubes available today are all from just a few factories left in the world. They are usually re-labeled by distributors and re-sellers. There are other threads on this forum that discuss who is currently selling good tubes. The quality varies tremendously and often changes as various manufacturers have production problems and drift from good to bad quality and back again. It is unlikely that you could buy another set of 6L6s exactly like the ones currently in your amp. But good replacements will be available.

...I'd like to know where I can get a spare silver grill from? I'd like to make look really nice...
            New Grill cloth can be installed on the existing baffle board or by replacing the whole baffle board with a new board/cloth assembly. I recommend that you hold off on any replacement until you learn more about the amp. If you do too much (or the wrong thing) to some amps you can drastically reduce the value of the amp. That may not be important to you now (maybe never) but it would be best not to rush into any further permanent alterations of original condition items.

...my twin has wheel on it,,, was this how they came?...
            Original Blackface twin reverbs did not have wheels but many owners added them. It’s best not to roll the amp over rough surfaces like an old parking lot. The vibration is very hard on the tubes.

...sprayed the sticker inside the back with clear to preserve the made in fullerton and tube placement sticker.. haven't really researched it yet but wouldn't this be a early 60's model blackface?…
            We’d still like to see photos of the amp showing details and hopefully a gut shot of the chassis removed from the cabinet. Then we can help you determine exactly what you have. It might even turn out to be a Frankenstein amp made up of parts from more than one original amp. Even if that’s the case, you got good value for your money.

Cheers,
            Tom

Comment

If you post the numbers marked on the transformers in your amp then we can most likely determine the year that the amp was made. Attached is a photo of the end bell of a 1964 Fender power transformer like the one that would be used in a Twin Reverb. You can see the numbers on the power transformer in your amp without disassembling anything. I suggest that you take a look at your transformer and post the numbers you find. There should be two rows of numbers like the example in the photo. There will be a similar set of two numbers one each of the transformers used in your amp. (Power Transformer, Choke, Output transformer and reverb drive transformer.) Let us know what you find and ask questions if you need more information.
              Cheers,
              Tom
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X