Sunn Concert Bass shutting off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunn Concert Bass shutting off

Ok, so I know that this Sunn's output transistors are getting too hot. What I'm sensing is it seems hottest around Q3. I've tried diaging it by following some other posts people have on the forum and it seems that I may have some resistor issues for Q5 and Q2. I've checked the windings on the trans and all the secondary coils are around 2.7 ohms and the primary is 18ohms. Checking the ohmage of B-E in circuit on the transistors is showing:
    Q5-42
    Q4-25.6
    Q3-26.3
    Q2-40
    Voltages are as follows:
    Q5= (E) -1.26 (B) -.66 (C) 17.44
    Q4= (E) 17.9 (B) 18 (C) 46
    Q3= (E) .3 (B) .84 (C) 46
    Q2= (E) -1.2 (B) -1.3 (C) -.005
    Q1= (E) 1.9 (B) 2.4 (C) 37.5
    These are all with no load on the speaker jack. Which, by the way, has 17.8vdc on it.
    Any suggestions on where to go next? There has been considerable work done in the past from what I see. New caps and wires soldered on where the quick connects broke off of them.
    sunn_concertbass2.pdf

If the transistors are getting too hot the bias may be out...
    If it has been worked on before, they probably missed a leaky transistor,
    or they put a transistor in wrong, or who knows what.
    When people play around with these, it can be quite difficult to solve a mess that an amateur / slop artist has created.

Better pulling all solid state parts to check, especially for small reverse leakage, that transistor testers often ignore and frequently miss.
    The thing to do is verify that every transistor is good, and installed correctly, which could be quite time consuming.
    I mean if there is DC on the output, you must have a shorted transistor, or a transistor installed incorrectly, a bad insulator....etc...

Comment

I found Q2 to be bad. Now on to see if anything is pulling excess current.

Comment

Working...
      X