Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for holding PTFE coated wire while stripping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for holding PTFE coated wire while stripping?

Hi,
    A couple years ago I bought a Patco thermal wire stripper after seeing them recommended on this forum.

I love it.

I am, however, struggling to hold PTFE coated wire while using it. My fingers have guitar player pads on them and the teflon coated wire slips around more than I could have imagined. :-)

Has anyone figured out how to do it easily? I'd like to continue using my fingers so I can work with a bunch of short pieces of wire quickly, rather than holding the wire with a tool.

Has anyone found that some sort of glove or finger sleeve works well?

Since the fumes from melted teflon are toxic...
    an automatic wire stripper is probably a good way to go:
    Professional Automatic Wire Stripper - MOR-54442 for $42.30

However I still use PTFE for everything...

Comment

Thank You.

One benefit of finding a way to hold the wire steadily is that I would work more quickly and in doing so would hopefully encounter noticeably less fumes.

On the occasions that I get in and get out with the wire there is almost no visible smoke. On the occasions that I fumble with the wire there is a small amount of smoke.

I do the stripping at the same bench I solder in so thanks for the reminder... it's a good rerun the exhaust!

The Patco cuts right through the insulation. I have a few mechanical strippers that don't seem to do a good job on teflon.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_mccue View Post
        Thank You.

One benefit of finding a way to hold the wire steadily is that I would work more quickly and in doing so would hopefully encounter noticeably less fumes.

On the occasions that I get in and get out with the wire there is almost no visible smoke. On the occasions that I fumble with the wire there is a small amount of smoke.

I do the stripping at the same bench I solder in so thanks for the reminder... it's a good rerun the exhaust!

The Patco cuts right through the insulation. I have a few mechanical strippers that don't seem to do a good job on teflon.
        Since I decided long ago to use the best possible wire in all amps...(aircraft grade, mil spec, fine stranded, silver plated, 200C, 600-1000V, PTFE)
        I have grown accustom to stripping it.
        Just make a notch all the way around the insulation with regular wire strippers. Then pull it off.
        Many times, I wrap the wire around my finger to hold it.
        It does for sure, take some practice. And a lot of patience.
        But my reward is that I have made the effort to use the best available.
        Some amps that were built from scratch are 100% PTFE. I am glad we did.
        It costs a lot, about 75 cents per foot. Every inch is worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	832081Click image for larger version

ID:	832081
        Click image for larger version

ID:	832081

If you noticed, Mercury transformers are using the very same type wire on all their products. Good.

Comment

There are hand strippers made specifically for teflon. I have an old pair from the 1960s, but they are still made. They are not cheap if bought new, but they come up used all the time..

Ideal 45-177 StripMaster 16-26 AWG Type E 600V Teflon - Stanley Supply & Services

Comment

I have all kinds of strippers left over from my TeleComm Installation job.
            Including a couple pair of the high dollar Ideal strippers.
            But, I get by real good with a cheap pair of these.
            I just built a 50 watt head, with lots of teflon wire, with the aid of these strippers.
            They do not nick the wire if you use the right size skinning notch.
            They are cheap, and available at walMart.
            I like them so much have several pairs.
            GE Deluxe Wire Stripper: Tools : Walmart.com
            **Edit
            Make sure they are the GE brand and not a lesser alternative.
            ** On holding the wire you can use the flat area in long nose pliers.
            You can hold it with the pliers to relieve the strain from the other connected end.
            Last edited by big_teee; 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

The ideal is a good one to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                There are hand strippers made specifically for teflon. I have an old pair from the 1960s, but they are still made. They are not cheap if bought new, but they come up used all the time..

Ideal 45-177 StripMaster 16-26 AWG Type E 600V Teflon - Stanley Supply & Services
                I used to have a StripMaster. It was my dad's.

I used to use teflon wire. I would wrap it around my finger to stop it from slipping. lol
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I have the 5" stripmaster for 24-30AWG and it's effortless on PTFE. You do need a 1/2" or so behind the stripped section so very short jumpers are a little impractical but doable if you plan ahead. For anything longer than an inch they are perfect. They grip the insulation between two silicone-carbide coated abrasive plates. You could try sticking your thumb and forefinger inside small sanding drum wraps. 3/4" dia ought to work if you insist on using the thermal stripper.
                  I picked up my Stripmaster used on ebay for $8 bucks delivered. The replacement blades are about $13 on Amazon. The cutter completely surrounds the wire and the anvil traps wire while the blades push the cut insulation off the end. All that happens in one squeeze and takes half a second. It's a pretty amazing device for what it costs.

Comment

A folded piece of wet-or-dry will afford a good grip.

Comment

Hi Mike,
                      Thanks for offering an answer to the question. I'll give that a try.

best regards,
                      mike

Comment

I just use a pair of pliers with electrical tape wrapped around the teeth. Firm grip and the insulation isn't damaged.

Comment

Gloves with grippy rubber surface like Hyflex 11-500 or similar, or one of those rubber pancake things they sell to help open lids on jars.

Comment

Some of these replies are not practical when working in an amp or tight places.
                            Using Sandpaper, or small insulated pliers to hold the wire might work.
                            The Ideal brand strippers are not always practical in tight places.
                            That is why I quit using mine, they are so large.
                            So sometimes you just use what works in your workspace.
                            I pefer pvc where the Temperature permits.
                            I've found using a alligator clip placed near the solder joint as a heat sink works well.
                            That illuminates the need for the slick hard to work with Teflon wire.
                            I use pre solder tinned PVC, or Cloth wire, when possible.
                            T
                            Last edited by big_teee; 01-21-2014, 03:44 AM.
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Well in tight spaces a thermal stripper is going to be totally useless then since they are generally bench-mounted.

Comment

Working...
                              X