No announcement yet.

Shuguang 6L6WGC - any info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a set of Sovtek 5881WXT tubes that came in a traynor amp back in 2008.
    I took them out because of the generic so-so sound.
    I have fired up several new amps with them.
    They are rock solid, but never have sounded that great.
    IMO Lots of better sounding 6L6s out there, but they are built tough.
    I replaced them with Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes.
    They sounded much better, warmer with better breakup.
    IMO they are just as tough, and are an ecconomical Tube as well.
    They were in the amp for 4 years, I have TAD tall bottles in it now and they sound great.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I have a set of Sovtek 5881WXT tubes that came in a traynor amp back in 2008.
      They are rock solid, but never have sounded that great.
      I get that... and it's a kind of trade off for me. In my amps the output valves are there more to serve their function than provide any influence on the sound. For us - tone comes way before that - all I want from my output section is consistency and as little coloration as possible. Also - I run my amps at a higher B+ than most so most 6L6 types won't cut it in my amps anyway. Don't get me wrong - I know how good a NOS pair of 6L6s can sound - I have a few really good NOS matched pairs around... but - commercially - we have come to do things the way we do for reasons of quality control and consistency. Hence the Sovvies... and they do last one hell of a long time... I have pulled them out of 10 yr old Hot Rod Devilles where they've been running way too hot and it's like they've hardly blinked an eye...

Back to the thread and I've noticed some comments regarding the 'STR' suffix that has become a bit fashionable to use... Fact is that it doesn't mean a thing. It stands for 'Special Tube Request' but it's very unlikely that they are 'specially requested tubes' - maybe 'Special Label Request' perhaps

Regards the Shuguang GC and WGC variants... they're in different sized envelopes which is going to give them a slightly different response respectively. I personally would not have anything to do with TAD for my own personal reasons that stem from my commercial experience with them. It has been our experience that they sell a lot of Chinese look-alike products - like their own branded electrolytics that look like high quality F&Ts but aren't by a long shot... their tube sockets are utter rubbish etc etc... I've had two pairs of the short bottle 6L6s from them and I'm willing to say they sounded pretty good to start off with but didn't last three months...

's just an opinion... YRMV...
      If I could find a way to get away it wouldn't be too soon... Shipwreck Moon...

Comment

Originally posted by yankeerob View Post
        I personally would not have anything to do with TAD for my own personal reasons that stem from my commercial experience with them......
        I no longer buy TAD tubes for the same reasons - and I've bought an awful lot. That's why I was looking at the Shuguangs to test/burn in/match myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
          I no longer buy TAD tubes for the same reasons - and I've bought an awful lot. That's why I was looking at the Shuguangs to test/burn in/match myself.
          Now ya see... that brings me back to Tube Town's own branded stuff... these guys are pretty savvy... their matching is second to none... I've never had a pair arrive that was more than a mA apart on Ip and bang on in Gm... People will say 'aww... it doesn't matter that much' but start running them over 500V and it freaking well does

Annnnnd..... their 6L6GC is cheap as chips as the price includes matching... that is worth considering... take it to a PM if you are interested to see what can be done on price...
          If I could find a way to get away it wouldn't be too soon... Shipwreck Moon...

Comment

Working...
          X