Shuguang 6L6WGC - any info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuguang 6L6WGC - any info

I ordered a sample of 10 Shuguang 6L6GC and got 6L6WGC. I can't find any written reference to the actual differences with these particular tubes. Anyone used these in Twin Reverbs and what's your opinion? Interestingly the plate, base, envelope construction and getter arrangement are identical to the TAD 6L6STR.

So, my question is; What is are the differences between Shuguang 6L6GC and 6L6WGC?

The tube you have would be like a TAD Short Bottle.
    And the regular 6L6GC would be like the tall bottle.
    I have both and like both.
    The short bottle is a little more compressed sounding.
    The tube store has a review on the TAD short and Tall 6L6.
    You may want to read that.
    www.thetubestore.com - 6L6 Tube Review
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Plate dark black coated like the TAD's? If that's the case it makes me wonder if Shuguang is now selling on the open market, tubes formerly made "proprietary" for TAD.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I just put the short bottle TADs in a Farshall 2204 Head I built this last fall.
        Everyone loves the sound of them.
        Great Overdrive, and the Head is Damn Loud!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          Plate dark black coated like the TAD's? If that's the case it makes me wonder if Shuguang is now selling on the open market, tubes formerly made "proprietary" for TAD.
          The tubes I have are visually identical in every respect to the TAD 6L6GC-STR. I have them both side-by-side for comparison. Same shiny black plate finish, getter position, spacers, screen location and all. Save breaking them open I can't see that they're different tubes.

Trouble is, I need to be sure of the spec of the Shuguang tubes in case I'm missing something with maximum plate voltage or dissipation. I can't find anything on a 6L6WGC other than cross references to a 5881 (bad) or 7581 (good).

My Russian tube equivalent book shows it as 6P3S-E. This is a longer-life tube (5000 hours) but lower maximum plate voltage. But that reference is probably 30 years old.

The trouble is, manufacturers play about with designations to the extent that they lose their link back to any original specs (such as the Sovtek 5881/6L6WGB).

I've been looking for a contact at Shuguang but can't find any e-mail addresses.

Comment

I just got a pair of the TAD 6L6GC-STR tubes. They look very much Shuguang to me. I suspect the TAD specs would be a good starting point for your Shuguang tubes (550 max plate, 450 max screen, 30 watts).

I have been liking recent Chinese production EL34s, but it's always good to get someone to screen them for you first unless you're buying by the crate and have return rights. They sound good and have been fairly reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
              The tubes I have are visually identical in every respect to the TAD 6L6GC-STR. I have them both side-by-side for comparison. Same shiny black plate finish, getter position, spacers, screen location and all. Save breaking them open I can't see that they're different tubes.

Trouble is, I need to be sure of the spec of the Shuguang tubes in case I'm missing something with maximum plate voltage or dissipation. I can't find anything on a 6L6WGC other than cross references to a 5881 (bad) or 7581 (good).

My Russian tube equivalent book shows it as 6P3S-E. This is a longer-life tube (5000 hours) but lower maximum plate voltage. But that reference is probably 30 years old.

The trouble is, manufacturers play about with designations to the extent that they lose their link back to any original specs (such as the Sovtek 5881/6L6WGB).

I've been looking for a contact at Shuguang but can't find any e-mail addresses.
              If you measure the height of your new tubes, what are the dimensions.
              The 6L6WGC should be the short 6L6 not the tall version.
              T
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                If you measure the height of your new tubes, what are the dimensions.
                The 6L6WGC should be the short 6L6 not the tall version.
                T
                3 3/4" not including pins

Comment

Originally posted by mhuss View Post
                  I just got a pair of the TAD 6L6GC-STR tubes. They look very much Shuguang to me. I suspect the TAD specs would be a good starting point for your Shuguang tubes (550 max plate, 450 max screen, 30 watts).

I have been liking recent Chinese production EL34s, but it's always good to get someone to screen them for you first unless you're buying by the crate and have return rights. They sound good and have been fairly reliable.
                  I looked at the TAD specs but what concerns me is why TAD refer to them as STR. It would suggest something other than an off-the-shelf tube. So what makes it special? could be as little as having TAD silk screened on the side.

I don't mind screening the tubes myself - I'm pretty sick of the lousy/worthless guarantees and end up taking it on the chin myself when tubes fail. I've bought hundreds of TADs. They do sound good, but are no more or less reliable than any other tube. I'd be happy if the Shuguang factory-direct tubes are as good, so long as the spec holds up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                    3 3/4" not including pins
                    That sounds like the 6L6GC.
                    Where did you buy them, I want some?
                    Do they have the grey or black plates?
                    Terry

Comment

I figured it out.
                      The TAD 6L6WGC is a short bottle.
                      The Sino Short bottle is a 6L6WGS
                      6L6WGS - Black Plate, Short Bottle, Made in China | Antique Electronic Supply
                      The Sino 6L6WGC is a tall bottle.
                      6L6WGC - Black Plate, Made in China | Antique Electronic Supply
                      I may have to try some of the Sino 6L6WGCs, they have them at Antique Radio.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        I figured it out.
                        The TAD 6L6WGC is a short bottle.
                        The Sino Short bottle is a 6L6WGS
                        6L6WGS - Black Plate, Short Bottle, Made in China | Antique Electronic Supply
                        The Sino 6L6WGC is a tall bottle.
                        6L6WGC - Black Plate, Made in China | Antique Electronic Supply
                        I may have to try some of the Sino 6L6WGCs, they have them at Antique Radio.
                        T
                        The AES ones are it. I got mine from RS components, but they don't know anything about tubes and their customer service is dreadful - no e-mail addresses, no calls back and a support line that costs you money to ring with no idea of when you'll get off hold. But cheap if you buy in bulk. If these work out I'd rather buy from somewhere else. I've been buying off RS since 1977 but I've changed my mind today about them. How a company can let you down when you need some help. I think they've grown too big to bother with customers.

I'm thinking I'll burn these in, match them in as many pairs/quads as I can get from 10 and see how they go. Could really do with finding out exactly what the spec is before installing them in a customer's amp.

Comment

Well, after filing a complaint I got a call back from RS Components this morning, but they don't have any specs on the 6L6WGC. After looking through Chinese wholesaler sites I eventually found a spec (of sorts);

Shuguang Vacuum Tube 6L6WGC(1PCS)
                          Beam Tetrode: 6L6WGC
                          DESCRIPTION
                          Beam power tube 6L6G, 6L6GA, 6L6GB and its plate power dissipation can reach 19W. For audio frequency amplifier, it can be used as class A and AB amplifier. At the same time, these tubes also can be used rectifying circuitry. These tubes are compatible with 5881 and 6L6GC, and can be substituted with each other.

Hmmm.

Still no clearer.

Comment

what concerns me is why TAD refer to them as STR
                            Because "STR" is a more attractive thing to call a tube than something else when you are marketing them. Why try to convince ourselves it means anything beyond that? If I make an amplifier, the Enzoamps 212, I might decide it should be called the Enzoamps 212XL. Not because it is Extra Large, but because XL just sounds like a cooler model name.

Ruby does a lot of business with Shaugang, send them an email and ask if they can shed any more specific light on the technical specs. What have we got to lose?
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              Ruby does a lot of business with Shaugang, send them an email and ask if they can shed any more specific light on the technical specs. What have we got to lose?
                              I did ask Ruby, a couple years ago, when I noticed the similarity between TAD's 6L6GC and theirs, including the test label with Pc and Tc readings. Aside from that, Ruby's 6L6GC-MSTR has grey plates, TAD's plates are black. "Nope we don't have anything to do with them" was Ruby's answer. But - imitation is what, the sincerest form of flattery, innit? TAD noticed Ruby was doing something smart, and TAD even got Shuguang to put special black plates in the 6L6's - TAD's STR - and there's the foundation of a tube line. Put 'em in shorter glass? OK boss, whatever. Hey we'll paint 'em pink with purple polka dots if that's what you want. Call it the PPD STR.

So far I haven't seen any "short bottle" Shuggies in the Ruby catalog. If there's anything I've noticed, Ruby sticks to their knitting, they do a good job on their products, but they tend to ignore what the competition is up to. It's a very small company - I doubt more than half a dozen people.

Now it appears the TAD STR's, long or short glass, are available directly from Radio Spares without having to get them from TAD, and that's nice if is saves some $$ or ££. But it does skip TAD's testing and matching routine. So you might wind up with some duds. We've been thru long discussions about similar situations with JJ tubes, especially their 6L6 and EL34 varieties. Conclusion was: better luck getting them thru an outfit that matches sets, and presumably culls out the duds.

What is puzzling is the 19W plate spec for WGS/WGC version, which matches the original 5881 TungSol spec. Far from 25-30W regardless of the "compatible" statement. I'd keep that 19W spec in mind when setting bias.
                              Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 01-13-2014, 04:23 PM. Reason: fix misteak
                              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                              X