A quick question about coil guides/traverse limiters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick question about coil guides/traverse limiters

Hello, long time lurker first time caller shall I say. I've gotten the inspiration recently to look into building myself a new coil winder. I had one I built when I was 15 that I used for a number years until I started working on amps, when unfortunately it was latter scrapped while I was moving from my old place to where I am now. Anyways that winder did work but it was somewhat crude, one problem I had was that I never figured out a reliable method of guiding the the wire onto the bobbin. With the bit of research I've done thus far I've seen the schatten pickup winder and it's coil guide and I think it would work perfectly for what I want to do. So my question is what are those parts called? As in when I go the hardware store, what should I be looking for? The smooth rod will be easy to find, but what are the guides themselves called outside of the pickup makers world? I've attached a pic for quick reference. Thanks for your time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	traverse_limiter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	868069
    "One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions...."

Originally posted by capehead View Post
    Hello, long time lurker first time caller shall I say. I've gotten the inspiration recently to look into building myself a new coil winder. I had one I built when I was 15 that I used for a number years until I started working on amps, when unfortunately it was latter scrapped while I was moving from my old place to where I am now. Anyways that winder did work but it was somewhat crude, one problem I had was that I never figured out a reliable method of guiding the the wire onto the bobbin. With the bit of research I've done thus far I've seen the schatten pickup winder and it's coil guide and I think it would work perfectly for what I want to do. So my question is what are those parts called? As in when I go the hardware store, what should I be looking for? The smooth rod will be easy to find, but what are the guides themselves called outside of the pickup makers world? I've attached a pic for quick reference. Thanks for your time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26887[/ATTACH]

Hi capehead:

Welcome.

The pieces are called shaft collars or stop collars.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

Awesome, thank you so much Jim. I easily found these online and I hope I can find some at home depot or ace hardware.
      "One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions...."

Comment

Working...
      X