Ubuntu on my ASUS Eee PC netbook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu on my ASUS Eee PC netbook?

I bought this netbook several years ago but could never locate both the unit and the power supply simultaneously. Well, I finally found both at the same time- hooray for me!

While tablets are cool for viewing content they really suck for typing up posts or replies. The android keyboard is very limited- it has a [BKSP] key but no [DEL] key, and absolutely no navigation keys. While it was very creative for a smart phone with a small screen it just doesn't cut it for a tablet.

ASUS announced that they were going to ship 3 models with Ubuntu installed instead of Windows 7 Starter but that never happened although many people have been doing it on their own. Evidently some versions work better than others so I will stick with the ones recommended on forums.

So I am planning to test a few versions with a flash drive and will install whichever one works best with the limited capabilities of my netbook. I would like to save an image of the hd with Windows installed so I need to figure out how to do that. Any suggestions on this project would be appreciated.

Steve Ahola

P.S. One problem I keep having with a netbook is that I keep using my fingers to click buttons on the display (which is a plain old 10" LCD, not a touch screen.)
    Last edited by Steve A.; 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Not sure the capabilities of the Asus netbook in question.
    On a laptop to boot to a usb drive?
    Download, and burn linux ISO image to usb drive.
    To boot to usb, at turn on, go into bios and select and move up the usb drive to the top of the boot list.
    Then it should boot to the live version on the usb drive.
    Use Unetbootin to burn the iso image to the usb drive.
    Try different linux versions.
    I like mint with mate desktop, because mint has the best driver selection and usually works on any system.
    GL,
    T
    ** Do you have a model number?
    Depending on age, will determine if it is USB bootable.
    Laptops have only been USB bootable for past 5 years or so.
    That has to be a bios option.
    You will probably only see the USB drive in bios, if and when it is plugged in!
    ***If you want to enter bios, try this.
    The manual for this netbook (Win 7) says to press the F2 key at power on to bring up the POST screen, then to press F2 again to enter the BIOS.
    Last edited by big_teee; 01-09-2014, 07:04 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Working...
    X