My Latest Score - 1974 Silverface Vibro Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Latest Score - 1974 Silverface Vibro Champ

I recently picked this 74 Vibro Champ off Craigslist for $220. It worked but you could hear it needed new filter caps. The previous owner also had a 6L6 in place of the 6V6 which I did not like the sound of. I opted to just tear out of the old warped fiber board, leave the old cap can in place but just cut the leads out, and make a new turret board to house all the new capacitors. I was able to save all the old carbon composite resistors as they were all within tolerance.

The one modification that I did make was to split the third 22uf filter cap's ground to the power tube's cathode ground point. I was planing on running a twisted pair of heaters to further reduce hum, but it is so quiet the way it is, I doubt I will. I noticed that the intensity knob now works properly as before it sounded like it was at 6 or 7 as soon as you turned it to 1. Now it is a smooth transition. I love the sound of this little amp and it definitely has a different vibe than my 5f1 tweed champ.

Flicker High Res Files
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wittgenstein; 01-12-2014, 09:21 PM.
    My Builds:
    5E3 Deluxe Build
    5F1 Champ Build
    6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Impressive work Mr Wittgenstein! I've found not much relief from hum in Champs by running filaments in the balanced mode BUT I've managed to drop hum to a "black background" by adding a pre-filter to the power supply. Just a 22 uF 500V cap and choke for a Twin. Studios love 'em. I call it the Hubert mod. Hum Free.

Since there's only one output tube, it does make a difference in tone. For @ 15 years I used a vibro Champ as my test bench amp. One day I tried ALL the 6V6's I had, new & used, and wound up with the one I started with. Eventually it failed and I went thru all the 6L6's too - this time a 6L6 was the choice. So it makes sense to use your ears & pick the best that way. Once all the tedious swapping & listening is done, you'll be convinced you have the best tube in there.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
      Hubert mod. Hum Free.
      We need a "palm slap forehead" emoticon!
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
      X