Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Orange 8x10 Wiring

Hello all,

I recently came into possession of an Orange 8x10 guitar cabinet, about which I can find little information. The speakers are all original except for one re-cone, and one replacement celestion. Replacement speaker is 8 ohms so I'm assuming the other unmarked Orange speakers are the same. My question is if I can wire this cab to 16 ohms and if so, what the layout would look like? When purchased it was wired to 4 ohms. My friend says that it should be possible to bring it to 16 ohms. I can't find any info online however. So whats up with this rare piece?

Any help is much appreciated!

It is an 8 driver box. If it helps, just think of it as a pair of 4x10 cabs stacked. So you can wire each 4x10 for 8 ohms, then put the two groups in either series or parallel for the desired combined impedance total.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well we tried that, but the two 4 x 10s are out of phase, and we can't figure out why. My friend says that on paper it would work at 16 ohms, but in practice it's not useable. We are pretty stumped, so we're trying to appeal to any wiring gurus out there.

Thanks!

Comment

So reverse the wires on one set.

Use a 9v battery and watch the cones.

Are each set of four all working in one direction? Take the hot from the jack to the + end of one group, then the - end of that group wired to the hot of the second group. Negative end of the second group back to jack ground.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X