damn, that's a shame!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn, that's a shame!

An old Randall 2x12 combo came in today with the complaint being no bass and low output, probably needs tubes. After plugging it in and hearing what sounded like AM radio, I quickly determined it was not a tube related issue. A fair amount of rust on the chassis and various hardware indicated exposure to dampness, and a quick gentle push on the speaker cones confirmed my suspicions, both Celestion Blue Alnicos were seized up. Ouch. Guy just bought the amp thinking he had something, and he's not going to want to hear that at about $250/ea!
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

REcone them.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      REcone them.
      Is there a recone for Dummies Guide?
      I know nothing about it, but I would like to.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 01-23-2014, 01:53 AM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Google "speaker reconing" for a start.;

Some guys do it, but most of us just send the speaker to a reconer. There may be one near you. If not, a reconer is as close as your local UPS driver.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Here's a link to a page with instructions and video if you decide to try it yourself.

Recone Kits - Recone Instructions

Not spamming or hard selling at all, but if you'd like me to kit them for you, send me a PM. I've been reconing speakers since the early 80's.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Now that I know someone that recones, I need some good vintage speakers that require it!
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Aw, I thought maybe you guys were gonna start up a new sub-forum, maybe something like "huffer's corner" .
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Happily T!

I will say this, however. A person who has the skills to build guitar pickups could certainly handle a recone. It's not that technically difficult. Just a lot of scraping and mindless cleanup, mostly. Cleaning all of the old glue and gunk off of the basket is the most difficult part. Gluing in a new kit is relatively simple. I usually save recone jobs for Mondays so that I can start off my week with some mindless tasks that don't require a lot of thought.

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                  Aw, I thought maybe you guys were gonna start up a new sub-forum, maybe something like "huffer's corner" .
                  Maybe that's what's wrong with me- sniffed too much speaker glue over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    Maybe that's what's wrong with me- sniffed too much speaker glue over the years.
                    Is Speaker glue anything like Fletching Cement?
                    I used to fletch my own arrows when I was younger and bow hunted all the time.
                    That glue needs lots of air.
                    Glue, and Solder Fumes, a Good Tech Doesn't have a chance.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      Here's a link to a page with instructions and video if you decide to try it yourself.

Recone Kits - Recone Instructions

Not spamming or hard selling at all, but if you'd like me to kit them for you, send me a PM. I've been reconing speakers since the early 80's.
                      I'm impressed. Most re-coners don't last long. It's kind of like being a hatter in the 19th century.
                      Last edited by olddawg; 01-24-2014, 01:38 AM.

Comment

And when they're reconed they'll need 40 years of damp, smoke and playing to get them broken in!

Comment

Celestion Blues in a Randall?

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            Is there a recone for Dummies Guide?
                            I know nothing about it, but I would like to.
                            T
                            Yes, it's Waldom Industries.
                            They make all kinds of after-market speaker parts.
                            Although, the parts probably are not as good as originals...you can re-cone just about anything.
                            and they teach you how to do it.

I think it takes a good soaking in beer...to really season a speaker properly...hopefully a good English ale, lads.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                              Yes, it's Waldom Industries.
                              They make all kinds of after-market speaker parts.
                              Although, the parts probably are not as good as originals...you can re-cone just about anything.
                              and they teach you how to do it.

I think it takes a good soaking in beer...to really season a speaker properly...hopefully a good English ale, lads.
                              Waldom quit selling recone kits/parts several years ago- coincidentally, one month after they sold me a new recone crossreference book for 50 bucks. If anybody wants the book, I'll sell it to you for half price.
                              Last edited by The Dude; 01-23-2014, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X