Fender amp cabinet grounding foil replacement material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender amp cabinet grounding foil replacement material

Once again, caught by Fender’s Bear Trap…needing to remove a chassis from their combo amp, and it won’t come out. This time, it was a Vibrolux Reverb Combo amp. Removed the rear chassis flange screws, then removed the top pairs of chassis screws thru the metal straps, and went to slide in my thin piece of aluminum between the chassis & cabinet to prevent the sloped front from chiseling off & then rolling up the adhesive-backed aluminum grounding plate on the inside top of the cabinet.

Not a chance. This time, no gap at the front of the chassis & cabinet, besides I could see thru the rear gap the adhesive-backed ground foil was already rolled back inside the chassis cavity. The Bear Trap. So, had to remove the speaker baffle, thinking once again the baffle was preventing the chassis from dropping down in front. Wrong! There was no clearance at all between the baffle mounting cleats and the chassis . NONE! Chassis completely stuck.

Only thing to do was to cut a small slice of the cleats out up at the top. But, pem nuts protruding out the bottom of the chassis, so I gave it 3/16”, and carefully cut down thru the wood & tolex, stopped before getting to the sides, so I could slice away the Tolex and not bugger the inside edges of the cabinet. At this point, the baffle is out, the reverb tank is out (had to come out anyway, as the Vibrolux Reverb amp as a fixed tank cable), the handle is off. Knocked out the slices, so now there's a gap.

Still couldn’t slide the chassis out….due to the rolled-up grounding foil that got buggered by a previous tech? No clue how they even got the chassis into place! Had no choice but to battle with it in tiny increments until I got the front past the baffle cleats, then was able to finally remove it from the cabinet.

Turned the cabinet over onto it’s top. Ground foil was just ripped to shreds, with large rolled-up batches of foil from some prior servicing.

I had found suitable replacement material for this, having to deal with it on a regular basis. Aluminum flashing, sold for roofing applications, 0.012” thick, found it in 25ft x 8” wide rolls. Got mine thru Home Depot, stk # 421037, made by Construction Metals Inc. Paid $21 & change for it.

On Fender Twins, the 8” width fits, though on the smaller amps, it’s too wide. I have both a large shear & a Beselar Roto-Trim from my photo lab, so cutting it to size isn’t an ordeal. Without, you can cut your hands up good. I had made some templates, so I’d be able to locate the mounting holes and punch them out (Whitney punch). I use Arrow 9/16” staples to staple the material to the inside of the cabinet top, once I’ve peeled off the former wreckage. Still have to hammer the staples the rest of the way down. No template made for this cabinet, though, so one more to make.

What a total pain!
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Something that I find helpful when trying to pull one of those chassis out is to use a spreader/clamp to widen the back of the cabinet, just a little.

If the foil isn't too bad, it needs to be burnished down so that it is flat to the cabinet before re-installing the chassis.

I have one of those blue handled Irwin squeeze clamps that can be set up to spread instead of squeeze. You don't really need to use much force, as don't want to damage the cabinet joints.

Comment

When the foil isn't so trashed, I'm always unrolling it carefully, burnishing it down, then stapling it down (since the adhesive backing is already shot), and adding some black gaffer's tape over the injury at the edge, usually just shy of the inside upper lip. No choice on this Vibrolux Reverb amp though....gotte pull the all the foil off, and replace it with a new sheet.

I usually only need the expansion clamps to deal with Vox AC30's that won'r release the chassis. Never had a Fender amp with a width problem. First time I've encountered the baffle cleats with no clearance.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Wood swells, it happens.

If some of the foil rips off, so be it, I don't fuss over replacing the lot of it. I have never encountered increased noise from missing foil corner areas.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Some of these amps have screws that come in from the side.
          When they are cranked down at assembly the chassis itself bends out a little.
          It's the screw holes that really tear up the foil.
          So at reassembly , I take a pliers & bend the side of the chassis in at the screw holes.
          It makes for a nice easy reinstall.

Comment

Yep, I do that too.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've been using the aluminum flashing for two decades. It actually comes in handy for other things too! Handy as shim material on guitars when you just don't feel good about using cardboard. Bending it adds rigidity and I've used it to make small panels for projects and light fixtures. Good template material for some things. And, of course, shielding for amps.

I remember the old Traynor amps. Really tight fit, side screwed AND top screwed chassis mounts, thick steel plate top shield and big T-nuts for handle mounting. Add to that the metal face plates that were typically oversized to hide the chassis front edge roll. Try getting one of those chassis out without bending the face plate! I dare ya! I've only dealt with four. They were all old and three already had bent face plates. I'm proud to say that on the one that wasn't already bent I left a smaller bend than the others

Ever take apart an Ampeg V4? Disassembly and reassembly needs to be generously figured into the repair time!
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
              X