Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(No Fun at all) 'Norton Security Scan' hocum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g-one View Post
    That is not how system restore works. It restores settings (registry), not files. If malware was installed as a program, then a restore point will have been created, but most malware is not installed that way.
    For a real "restore", you will need a full set of back-up discs of the entire hard drive.
    More info here: Can System Restore Remove a Virus. - Microsoft Community
    and here:
    windows - Can system restore remove virus from the computer? - Super User
    This IS how system restore works.

It can turn back the clock on the hard drive, to a time before the system was infected.

Have done this dozens of times, and quite frequently, it worked. On dozens of computers.

Exception: the virus can disable system restore. maybe, maybe not. Depends on the virus type.
    Also, there may not be an acceptable restore point.

But since it's worked many times before, it's certainly worth trying.

Comment

It may have worked for you, but it still only restores settings, not files. Are you aware of how long it takes to create a restore point? Do you think the computer is doing a full backup in those few minutes?
      I guess you didn't read the links from actual Microsoft community.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It eliminates files or programs installed AFTER the restore point date.
        Thereby eliminating a virus that WAS installed.
        It goes back to the time, BEFORE the infection.
        And It DOES work - Guaranteed it's successful about 60% OR MORE.

NO it does not "ALWAYS" work every time.
        But since it's the easiest of all solutions, it's worth a try for sure.

Creating a restore point???
        On my quad core, it takes about 20 seconds.

On a P3....who know how long? 2 hours?

If you wanna get REALLY confused:
        Just read the Official Microsoft explanation...(never really explains anything...)
        Last edited by soundguruman; 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Sorry but it can not eliminate files. It only changes settings. Basically it is restoring the registry. Try it and you will see. Your newer documents will still be there.
          As you say, it takes about 20 seconds. There is no way a back-up can be done in that time. A proper complete backup of a hard drive could take up 20 DVD discs. How long would that take? More than 20 seconds.
          If you could erase all your user files by performing a system restore, there would be some pretty big warnings when you try to do the restore.
          Like I said, try it. See if it erases any new user files. If it doesn't, how could it remove a virus file?
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You are completely wrong.

As I said, computers are routinely restored from virus attacks, using this method.
            I myself have used this method dozens of times. It works.

Further, thousands of other systems have been saved from Virus Attacks, using this method, for many passed years.

Just because YOU don't accept it or understand it,
            does not invalidate it.

Believe what you wish. The rest of us will keep on using it, despite what you think. Because: it works.

From Microsoft:

System Restore uses restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time without affecting personal files. Restore points are created automatically every week, and just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. You can also create a restore point manually.

System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files created under any user account on your computer. System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file. If you have backups of your files, you can restore the files from a backup.

FYI: virus is executable file which is planted in your computer.
            System restore removes the execution of the file.
            That's why it works to remove a virus.
            Last edited by soundguruman; 02-11-2014, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I am sorry you are unable to understand how system restore works. Read the links I provided, it may help you.
              It is possible that on some occasions system restore may help you recover from malware. The point I am trying to make is that it does not put your computer back to exactly how it was. It only changes system files.
              "System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It also can make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. It does not affect personal files, such as e‑mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file. If you have backups of your files, you can restore the files from a backup."

It can not delete many types of files, and it can not restore deleted files. It is not the same as restoring from a back-up, which is what you have tried to say.

Comment

From Microsoft:

System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files created under any user account on your computer. System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file. If you have backups of your files, you can restore the files from a backup.
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                - Yogi Berra

Comment

FYI: virus is executable file which is planted in your computer.
                  System restore removes the execution of the file.
                  That's why it works to remove a virus.

Don't tell me it won't work.
                  Iv'e used it too many times, and it DID work.

Comment

No comment.
                    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                      From Microsoft:
                      System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files created under any user account on your computer.
                      System Restore is not a system-wide backup program but it does back up some of the critical system files in your computer. As SGM says it can often be used to undo malware that was introduced after a restore point was established. However from personal experience I know that it cannot restore some of the files that a virus might trash and if it is bad enough you may need to reformat your drive and reinstall Windows.

It is recommended to keep your data files on a drive other than your boot drive on which Windows is installed but Windows 7 insists on putting some of my downloads on my C: drive. (With XP I was able to redirect downloads and My Documents to a different drive but Win 7 has a schizophrenic interface with some of these files ending up in the library on the C: drive under the Steve heading while the rest are stored on my E: drive.)

Steve

P.S. There is a Norton System Scan on the Norton web site and it is NOT a virus although it is a very annoying scam which offers you a one year subscription to Norton 360 for $19.99 if its scan reveals any malware. You say "no thank you, ma'am" but it keeps nagging you every time you boot up until you get sick of it and go to Control Panel to uninstall it...

https://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp

BTW the free version of Malwarebytes will both scan and repair your system- it is highly recommended by PC Mag. The free version only finds and repairs malware already on your computer. For real-time protection you need to buy the premium version which costs $24.95 for a lifetime license. Wow- none of the 1 year subscription bullshit...
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:
                      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Some programs, including the one I make my living with, require very specific data file locations, on the C: (boot) drive so the option of having data separate doesn't work for me. I do want to make clear that these data files are NOT changed with system restore.
                        - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                          BTW the free version of Malwarebytes will both scan and repair your system- it is highly recommended by PC Mag.
                          I put the free version of Malwarebytes on every PC I build. One of the little known things about MWB is that you can safe mode boot to a command prompt and run it via script. This allows you to save most infected PC's even if the boot sector is corrupted and the PC won't boot into Windows. You can also make a boot disc or boot stick with MWB on it if you haven't installed MWB prior to the crash. Many of the newer malware programs also write to the Windows restore backups rendering them useless. In other words, the system restore files also contain the malware so restoring them gets you nowhere.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Malwarebytes was able to rid my sons computer of a virus when other programs failed. Great program.
                            - Yogi Berra

Comment

In believe that's why i mentioned repair mode in XP
                              or upgrade mode.
                              Reloading the OS is a very effective way, in case system restore fails. (about 30% of the time, it's what you will wind up with)
                              It will not erase the personal programs or files.

But it will fix corrupt OS files.

The other 10%, you will have a corrupt boot sector,
                              then it's time to recover/backup your files and reformat the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                                Malwarebytes was able to rid my sons computer of a virus when other programs failed. Great program.
                                Malware bytes works sometimes.
                                But it's a really poor way to protect a computer.
                                Very vulnerable to attacks. The security is full of holes.

I would not recommend that you depend on it to protect your computer.

Comment

Working...
                                X